Author Topic: Thorn RST and a Alfine 11 spd - at first  (Read 1655 times)

Etienne

Thorn RST and a Alfine 11 spd - at first
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:05:45 am »
Amazed by this bike - and before preparing my small expedition - scheduled in 2 years

I would like to test a Alfine in a first step (cost, smooth triggering).  Cabling probably to avoid the 'top tube'.

I will choose a S&S to travel ... but Alfine is probably more difficult to dismantle.  How about the Rohloff, do you think that the cable can be dis/reconnected so easily ?

I would appreciate your though,
Etienne
47 yrs but also still cycling with my Circe UK Tandem
rgds,
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:07:41 am by Etienne »

julk

Re: Thorn RST and a Alfine 11 spd - at first
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:46:55 am »
Etienne,
I had a Thorn Rohloff ex box with S&S (sadly stolen from a campsite).

It was a dream to dismantle,
• the rear brake cable has a short cable splitter between the rear V-brake arms, disengage cable from noodle arm.
• the rohloff ex box disengages with one thumbscrew undone and the cables simply pull out of the opposing frame guides under the chainstay
• the frame dismantles with the S&S spanner and couplings undone.
It could not be any easier or quicker.

Sorry I have never tried an Alfine, so you are on new territory there.
I am very happy with my Thorn Rohloff, I am on bike number 2 now!
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:10 pm »
Etienne:

Julian has answered most of your questions. I don't have experience of the Alfine 11-speed but of the Nexus 8-speed on which it is based. The gear gable has two attachments that are a fixed distance apart, one on the gearbox, one on the frame. The one on the gearbox is a nut on a bolt with a hole through it fixed on the cable, and is released by pulling down a springloaded part of the gearbox mechanism and pulling the nut free from a metal hook. The frameside fitting is a slit runner, so you pull back the bullet cap on the case until the inner cable can come free through the slot. Practice at home and it takes seconds to release and fit. Don't practice at home and you might find the fitting part, in which you have to twist the cable just so to line up the nut with the hook, a bit frustrating.

André Jute

Etienne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:12:25 am »
 :)  tks for your comment - it help me because I was afraid of EX box.
Indeed -better to prepare a real and nice Rolhoff on a marvelous rim - in due time
My wife will appreciate my wisdom  :-X