Author Topic: Rigida Andra CSS or Grizzly CSS...?  (Read 3652 times)

robpel

Rigida Andra CSS or Grizzly CSS...?
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:14:24 pm »
Hi All,

Any suggestions on which would be best for heavy-duty mtb touring-heavy load, rough roads, 200 pound rider?

The Thorn Sherpa brochure recommends the Andra over Grizzly for my needs:

As for the Grizzly: "These are our preferred choice for most
Sherpa bike builds...[But] we wouldn’t
recommend them to anyone contemplating
an epic tour or a tour on really rough
roads."

And for the Andra: "These build into the strongest wheels that
we have ever sold...If you are planning to
go on a really long tour, or if you plan to do a lot of travelling on really rough roads, or
if you are a very heavy cyclist, we advise
you to select this option."

Given this, it all appears so simple and straightforward, but it seems that at least some at SJS Cycles would suggest the Grizzly-something about the stiffness of the Andra making it necessary to leave the non-driveside spokes more slack than the wheel-builder would prefer, thus leading to some skepticism over their superior strength in rugged conditions.

And so, I am caught on a fence. It would be great if the Grizzly would hold up, since it's 200g (7oz.) lighter per wheel. On the other hand, it's also quite a bit more expensive.

Any advice, suggestions, experience would be most appreciated!!!

julk

Re: Rigida Andra CSS or Grizzly CSS...?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »
I have the Andras on a Rohloff tourer, I would not worry about the extra weight if you are looking at off road, heavy touring loads and a heavy rider.

I went the extra and got the carbide coated ones, they should outlast me now :D

If you are still not sure phone/e-mail Robin or Andy for advice.

Have some great rides when you get the new wheels in action.

What tyres are you thinking of?

robpel

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:27:40 pm »
Thanks, Julk. It's true-what difference would 1 lb. really make, though there always seems to be some point where that extra added pound does slow you down? But the rims are no place to skimp-always seem to be rims, and nothing else, that fail on me.

I've been using Schwalbe Marathon Extremes, though admittedly I don't have much experience using them (or any tires...) on rough tracks, gravel roads, etc. I'm hoping to get a taste for that kind of riding this summer.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:29:40 pm »
I have no experience of either, but from everything I've read the Grizzlies likely won't be tough enough for you.

Plenty of people seem to be using the Andra's with great success...and after the recent(ish) thread on the CSS version, I'm convinced they'll be worth the extra cash, if you're planning on touring a great deal (a solid year+). If there is some doubt over them (that'd be news to me...), consider the Sun Rhynos instead- The mutt's nuts as far as strength goes.

+1 for strength over weight if you're doing rough stuff.

Where are you off to?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:34:35 pm by ThousandYardStare »

robpel

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 08:14:17 pm »
Thanks for the info, ThousandYardStare-definitely am leaning toward the Andra.

Where am I going? Good question; it's still up in the air. I'm thinking of heading to Spain in March, mainly doing road riding there in order to get back in shape. I've never been to Spain and it sounds great. Then, it might be Greece and hopefully the dirt/rock roads there. I'll probably come back to Italy (where I live) for some of the summer, then I'd really like to go to Turkey, where I've been several times on a bike-great place. But I really want to cap it all off by heading to Morocco and definitely there doing the rough roads. That's the kind of adventure I need.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »
Mmmmmh, sounds like happy days ahead, robpel :). I had an amazing time in Turkey, riding the dirt roads around the mountains east of Cappadoccia, sleeping in caves some nights. Awesome stuff.
Through the Atlas Mountains from Marrakesh and out into the Sahara was another spectacular one. Have a blast!

robpel

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:29:06 am »
Yeah, I can't wait, ThousandYardStare!