Author Topic: pitlock and shimano xtr m970 v-brake  (Read 5688 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
pitlock and shimano xtr m970 v-brake
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »
I am cherishing my new Nomad MkII with all its deluxe features like the Shimano XTR V-brakes. I use the bike for grocery shopping along with exploring the countryside. I would not like to lose the whole or any parts to any opportunistic or plotting fingers, so I am fitting Pitlock bolts to whatever parts I can.

Has anyone fitted the Pitlock brake bolts to the Shimano XTR V-brakes? It seems like the parallelogram mechanism of the brake is not going to fit. But maybe somebody has a trick.

Here is a photo of a brake arm:

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r6/kukulaj/?action=view&current=IMG_0954.jpg

and an exploded diagram from Shimano:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/
techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/BR/EV-BR-M970-2608A_v1_m56577569830609099.pdf

Pitlock doesn't have such a great photo of their V-brake bolt, but here it is:

http://www.pitlock.com/sortiment/erweiterte-sicherungen/v-brakes/index.php

Any tips would be appreciated!

Jim

Blacksail

Re: pitlock and shimano xtr m970 v-brake
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:45 pm »
but the bolts cost almost as much as the part you are protecting :o

Erudin

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:44 am »
You could also glue ball bearings into the hex bolts, use magnetic or hot-melt glue to get them out easily (needs a scalpel or needle, still takes a while) or superglue (takes ages to remove with nail polish remover) for best security. I do that with my commute/pub bike.

Though having insurance is probably the safest option as your bike has value and would be of interest to pro thieves and not much will stop them.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »
I use button head Security Torx bolts (stainless steel) on my Avid Ultimates.  They are not as secure as a pit lock but are a LOT cheaper and will stop a casual tea leaf.  Finding a source for these can be a tough job! here is a link for the non stainless version

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/8440-screw-tp-pin-torx-button-m6x20-tptb620-duratool.html

mski

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »
I was reading this post with interest and thinking what a world we live in when you need to stop someone stealing your bicycle brakes. I am currently on tour and mine and my partners Nomad Mk2's are generally left with a hefty D-lock through the back wheels and all the luggage still attached, while we wander off to do a bit of sightseeing. The wheels have the standard quick release skewers and everything else is standard. Occasionally when we can be bothered we put a cable through the luggage, but that hasn't happened since we left Europe.
It just makes me wonder if something has gone terribly wrong in the west, where we feel the need to secure every part of our lives against theft. Maybe its helped by the fact that where we are, they have no knowledge of Rohloffs or the concept of a bike that may cost more than their car. In fact most people are convinced that we must be unable to afford a car, there could be no other reason to be riding a bicycle with your luggage attached.
Anyway not a complaint or moan, just an observation.
Happy cycling all.

Matt

ontheroadwithatoad.blogspot.com

expr

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:20 pm »
Jim,

you could fit spacers behind the pitlock base that will raise it from the parallelogram mech and allow the movement to pass freely, the only thing you will have to check is what length the pitlock screws are and if they will accommodate the spacers and frame studs.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 02:22:53 am »

I guess the main missing ingredient was courage! The pitlock v-brake bolt kit comes with a fat spacer that is just thick enough to clear the parallelogram mechanism! The whole thing went together without a hitch!

Blacksail

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 12:43:43 pm »
Now you just need a way to protect those quick release blue Swisstop blocks as they aren't cheap.

mski

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:28:36 pm »
Now you just need a way to protect those quick release blue Swisstop blocks as they aren't cheap.
An interesting thought, due to their long life, there may be a market for second hand swisstop blocks. Perhaps a tiny padlock through the split pin  :)

Bearbait

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:26:55 pm »
I'm not sure a tiny padlock will do the job.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 02:34:20 pm »
Now I'm looking at all those spokes! How about locking nipples? Special shapes spoke wrenches.... hmmm, there could be a patent here!

Bearbait

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 04:36:39 am »
Ride a tandem and put a security guard behind!