Author Topic: Marathon Plus on an RST ?  (Read 9084 times)

Fred A-M

Re: Marathon Plus on an RST ?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 05:57:06 pm »
I wouldn't disagree either, the extra weight of a fatter tyre is a factor, BUT some fat tyres can weigh less than narrower ones... so maybe just as quick ( & more prone to punctures & wear out sooner ! )

I'd always assumed (possibly wrongly), that the extra rolling resistance would more than negate any weight advantage.

Crudson

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 07:42:06 pm »
When you do a poached egg do you pre boil the water before adding the egg
or boil to optimum tem.....oh! I do apologise, I appear to be on the wrong forum.
Do carry on.

Blacksail

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:39:46 pm »
The Marathon + (26 x 1.5) is about 50% heavier than the Pasela Tour Guards that I use, thats a lot of rotating mass to get moving and the puncture fairy has been very kind to my tyres so I'll keep buying the TG's.

and boil the water, drop of vinegar, give it a swirl and slide egg into the whirl pool. 3 minutes. Use fresh eggs. IMO.

Crudson

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 08:30:48 pm »
see, there's the rub - how to achieve the combination holy grail of the perfect tyre
AND the perfect poached egg....[without adding vinegar]

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 08:29:21 am »
see, there's the rub - how to achieve the combination holy grail of the perfect tyre
AND the perfect poached egg....[without adding vinegar]

easy:

+

+

=

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:36:48 am by Paulson »

energyman

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
That's what I like about Forums, you ask a simple question and it sure broadens your horizons !

cake

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 01:30:06 pm »
I'm going to stop commenting on tyre threads.... I retired my 1.75" M+ today after a huge piece of glass punctured it and left bits of itself in the various layers of the tyre.

So after discovering my puncture repair kit was in my audax bike's toolkit i removed the rear wheel and changed the tube for a new one.  This is when i discovered there had been more glass in the layers....

I made it the couple of miles back home and swapped the tyre for the 1.5" M+ and repaired the new tube and refitted it all.  Again.

It rides very nicely indeed, with slightly less drag as expected - a splendid result in the end.  And 15509 miles from a rear tyre with only two punctures during that time is not to be sniffed at!

Bearbait

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 02:52:26 pm »
Shall we retire the egg?

energyman

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 04:42:02 pm »
Good Idea !

Bearbait

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2011, 10:00:10 pm »
On second thought, I'm wondering if there is an attachment for the dyno hub for poaching eggs?  At present, I hold my eggs between my thighs as I cycle.  If one judges the pedals per minute, altitude, and temperature correctly, it is possible to get a nicely soft-boiled egg.  Unfortunately, there are drawbacks to this method.

Blacksail

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:11 pm »
You can't ride a bike without breaking eggs.

davefife

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:06 am »
 :D

il padrone

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 04:10:42 am »
I hear so much discussion about the Marathon Plus, but for the past 4-5 years I have been riding with Vittoria Randonneur Cross in 26x1.75. they have given me 14,000kms before I retired them (not out) wiht zero punctures. Just fitted a new set onto my Thorn Nomad. At ~740g per tyre they are a much lighter weight alternative to the Marathon Plus.

The 'Double Defence' puncture-resistant belting really does work very well. I've ridden through clumps of cat-head thorns with no punctures suffered at all. Others have similar experiences