Author Topic: Corsica  (Read 3828 times)

lewis noble

Corsica
« on: December 27, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »
Hello everyone - best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.

We plan to go to Corsica for most or all of June next year, in our campervan and taking bikes.  Guidebooks suggest that cycling is pretty hairy in Corsica because of narrow roads and fast driving.  Has anyone got any experiences / observations??  We will either take our bikes (RT and my wife's Dawes City Vision 7 - limited gear range) or our Thorn tandem - though we are not experienced tandemmers and the thought of steep gradients, sharp bends and hairy driving may not mix well with tandemming . . . .

All observations re areas, campsites, routes etc very welcome

Lewis

rualexander

Re: Corsica
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:04:43 pm »
Corsica is probably one of the best cycling destinations anywhere in the world. We've been three times for a total of eight weeks. The weather is generally great, the scenery is superb and varied, the roads are not busy outwith July and August (we went in September so I expect June would be similar). Some of the roads are narrow and have dodgy surfaces but nothing too bad really.

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:17:16 am »
Thanks rualexander - what areas of Corsica did you explore??

Lewis

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:32:39 pm »
Pretty much all of it, you can't go wrong!

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:53:00 pm »
Can't go wrong??!!  Sounds OK to me!!  Happy New Year everyone.

Lewis

expr

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:52 pm »
All the best on your tour lewis, hope you have a fantastic time. Some of our friends relatives live out there, and they say it's fantasic....

All the best.

Dave.

davefife

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 08:01:30 pm »
I was there 2 years back (July) for the family fortnight and hired a road bike for 1 week, we were in a flat in Calvi and I cycled the coast north and south and into the interior, without incident, traffic is generally congested in the towns and not agressive towards cyclists either there or on the open road.  The coastal A to B routes are busy, but once onto the interior network its superb cycling, very beautiful.  The best ride/climb I did was to Haut Asco - excellent stuff.  It was very hot in July so the heat maybe your worst fear. 
Good luck David
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:12:46 pm by davefife »

shawn5

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:01 am »
Hi rualexander  i extremely agree with you that because Corsica is awesome place for cycling,..
its all places are great to ride,..

gearoidmuar

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:02 pm »
I agree. Corsica is fab. I've toured there about 4 times. Most beautiful areas are the northwest around Piana and Porto, the Col de Vergio and the centre. The least attractive area is the east coast but near that is lovely. It's not at all busy off season.

lewis noble

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:41 am »
Thanks gearoid . . . . . yes, the north-west looks the best for both swimming, walking and cycling, so I think much of our time will be spent there.

Lewis

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:39:33 pm »
Just to revive / update this post . . . .

We recently returned from our 3 week trip to Corsica.  Beautiful place, a superb time.

My cycling has been pretty limited for a while, sadly, because of arthritis in my hands which causes a lot of problems / pain.  I may do a separate post on this.  I have improved things a bit by riding on larger tyres, softer at the front, and changing stem to give a more upright position (Thanks Robin Thorn for advice), but arrived pretty unfit.  But the holiday was always going to be a mixture of activities, and we found several rides in the North-West of the island on reasonable gradients and enjoyed them.  Long hills, but not much more so than many other parts of UK / Europe.  Main problem - heat and lack of shelter / shade.  Road surfaces good and vehicles generally very courteous to cyclists. 

Lovely campsites - a long way and an expensive trip but well worth it.

Lewis

geocycle

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:36 pm »
Just to revive / update this post . . . .

We recently returned from our 3 week trip to Corsica.  Beautiful place, a superb time.

My cycling has been pretty limited for a while, sadly, because of arthritis in my hands which causes a lot of problems / pain.  I may do a separate post on this.  I have improved things a bit by riding on larger tyres, softer at the front, and changing stem to give a more upright position (Thanks Robin Thorn for advice), but arrived pretty unfit.  But the holiday was always going to be a mixture of activities, and we found several rides in the North-West of the island on reasonable gradients and enjoyed them.  Long hills, but not much more so than many other parts of UK / Europe.  Main problem - heat and lack of shelter / shade.  Road surfaces good and vehicles generally very courteous to cyclists. 

Lovely campsites - a long way and an expensive trip but well worth it.

Lewis

Glad you enjoyed Corsica.  It is on my list of places to visit.  Very sorry to hear of the arthritis.  Maybe a bike fit or a physio could help?  I'd guess that the RT is about as comfortable as you can get in an upright bike.  Keep riding!