Author Topic: Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres  (Read 5167 times)

brummie

Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:15:01 pm »
Anyone had any experience running the Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres? Just considering getting a pair incase we get a winter like last year...

Blacksail

Re: Schwalbe Marathon winter tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 11:14:56 pm »
Very noisy  :(, they eat your mudguards >:(, don't feel great to ride  :'( on but are really good at keeping the bike going on ice ;D. They are not miraculous so you still need to show caution.

julk

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:15:42 pm »
Get a pair, they sell out before winter sets in and then they are unobtanium just when you need them.
Even now you may need to get them mailorder from somewhere like Bike24 in Germany.

I wear gloves fitting mine, the studs are very short but sharp edged. I usually run 2" tyres so they fit easily at 1.75" and have not touched my mudguards.

Schwalbe recommend a running period of I think 20 miles on dry tarmac. This is to bed the studs in.

Riding with them is a bit buzzy on dry tarmac, but they do grip on flat ice as long as you are gentle in the manouvers. The studs are too short for much gripping in snow and icy ruts.

I would not ride in icy conditions now if I did not have them, it is just too easy to fall off with no warning on ice and possibly break a bone or two.

Rontana

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:56:51 am »
 I can confirm that there doesn't seem to be any stock in the UK currently, as I have checked loads of places hunting for them. however Bike24 do have stock (as of 2010-11-11) as I ordered a pair from them yesterday, and as an added bonus they were cheaper than in the UK.

Also, now that I own a set of these tyres, I have ensured that winter will remain warm and ice free for the next few years ;D

brummie

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 08:13:04 pm »
Just had my first ride on Marathon winter tyres ( 700x35c - on my fixie  - Good timing after last nights snow... ) I must say I am very impressed so far, the commute home had everything ranging from fresh 'ish' snow through to compacted snow /sheet ice / wet roads. The tyres pretty much let me ride as normal, though I was a little bit tentative at first 'cos it is quite surreal not to be sliding around !

Highly recommended & the expense is worthwhile for winter bikers given the improved safety.

sjs should be able to get stock soon as the tyres are available from the distributors.

julk

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 09:29:36 pm »
Brummie,
Glad you managed to get some and they are working well for you,

Rontana,
Something must have gone wrong, we have snow and ice aplenty, hope you get good use out of your Winter Marathons - but could you buy some sunblock soon please ;D

Nate

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 02:05:20 am »
Get a pair, they sell out before winter sets in and then they are unobtanium just when you need them.
Even now you may need to get them mailorder from somewhere like Bike24 in Germany.

Signed up just to Thank you Julk, I had completely exhausted all my google-fu looking for winter tires, until after days of solid searching, I saw your post. A set of Marathon winter tyres are on the way to me now. Many thanks

Nate

julk

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:33:54 am »
Nate,
Glad to be of help.
Enjoy your tyres when they arrive.
The snow is too deep here (about a foot has fallen in the last 2 days) for me to cycle just now :(
but all the local kids are out with sledges and the schools have shut so they are very happy ;D
Julian.

brummie

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:23:48 pm »
Further update: Had a couple of inches of fresh snow overnight - The Marathon Winters do occasional drift & slide in the soft stuff - Compacted snow & ice is where they excel - Braking on 20% hills is possible in such conditions ! - Though I should stress one still needs to take care & ride sensibly for the conditions.

tpickersgill

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:21:05 pm »
They're a very tight fit on my Audax Mk 3, even after I took the mudguards off, but I'd rather be muddy & wet than dry and suddenly sliding along the road again.

So, the marathon wither tyres are on and I have my peace of mind. i wouldn't be riding again until March / April otherwise.

I've run them it on clear tarmac at low pressure, and boy are these monsters hard work!! My commute is up 10 minutes, to just over an hour now, but I just remind myself that the hard work is good for me, and look forward to putting the paselas back on in the spring.

Rontana

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »
Rontana,
Something must have gone wrong, we have snow and ice aplenty, hope you get good use out of your Winter Marathons - but could you buy some sunblock soon please ;D

Well we have had less than 1 inch of snow around here so far :) as the clouds keep avoiding me. But it still has been sub zero most nights so at least there's some ice about to play on.

Had the tyres on the bike for over a week now, so they are fully bedded in. not that it reduces the rolling resistance that much. They feel much better once they are on what little snow & ice we have thou, and that gets rid of the riding on gravel/angry wasps in a jar noise that they make.

But they have been doing their job and tempting fate, I haven't had any slip sliding around yet. so they get a full thumbs up from me