Author Topic: Raven Sport with drop bars  (Read 9999 times)

sg37409

Raven Sport with drop bars
« on: October 16, 2010, 11:29:55 PM »
Most folk seem to prefer the flat bars. I would miss the drops.

sg37409

Re: Raven Sport with drop bars
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 11:34:10 PM »

julk

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »
sg37409,
Welcome to the forum.

That is the beauty of cycling, you can fit the bike out just how it suits you best.

That bike looks splendid.

Happy cycling.
Julian.

sg37409

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »
Yes, vive la difference.
The shifter with drops seems to work fine. If your an STI or Ergo addict you might think it hassle, but I have bar-ends on my other bike and its the same operation. The biggest issue I have with it at present is I have hit my knee off it a couple of times.

julk

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »
You could swap the stem and the accessory bar over.
Putting the accessory bar higher might avoid the knee strikes on the gear changer.

Inverting the stem and juggling or new spacers could put the bars back to where they came from.
Here is a web site where you can see if it will work before trying it or buying new spacers...
stem comparison site

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Well, after a lot of ummming and ahhhing, I have tonight taken the plunge and ordered a pair of tektro 520 v-brake drop-bar levers, an accessory bar for the shifter, and a pair of pro lt drop bars.  I kind of missed the drops on my audax, because riding on the hoods (although hardly ever on the actual drops!) was my favourite riding position.  I have to say I also love the look of SG's raven sport with drop bars.  

All being well I should get them fitted next week some time, so if anybody wants to buy a pair of used ergon rohloff grips and a pair of XT levers.....altho' I may keep them to give myself the flexibility to change back in the future.  I'll also seek out the black brooks bar tape that's lying around somewhere.....and the knee pads!!   ;)

I will post some pics once I emerge from the garage!

pt88

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
hi Paulson,

would your frame not be too long for droops, Thorn web sight suggests you decide on straight or droops,  as the top tube length is different ie shorter for droops,

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
hi Paulson,

would your frame not be too long for droops, Thorn web sight suggests you decide on straight or droops,  as the top tube length is different ie shorter for droops,

Possibly.  I know that Thorn recommends the 610s frame for drops, and the 587L for straights, but the pair I have are compact drops with a short 90mm stem, whereas I was previously using a 110mm stem with riser bars.  The bars are fitted now, and the riding position seems initially to be very comfortable.  Once brakes are on I will be able to test it out.

freddered

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »
Possibly.  I know that Thorn recommends the 610s frame for drops, and the 587L for straights, but the pair I have are compact drops with a short 90mm stem, whereas I was previously using a 110mm stem with riser bars.  The bars are fitted now, and the riding position seems initially to be very comfortable.  Once brakes are on I will be able to test it out.

Thorn did a total frame swap for me when I decisde I couldn't get on with flat bars.  This was in place of me returning the bike under the 100 day guarantee.

It's not as simple as swapping flat bars for drops unless you are very lucky with stem lengths.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
Here is mine after my first ride on drops this afternoon.  I found that the position is comfortable, and even with hands on the hoods I am able to ride without over stretching.  It feels like a different bike - climbing and descending now have their own hand positions.  It's a bit odd moving my hands down to shift the rohloff, when I used to simply tap the brake levers! But so far so good.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:03:03 PM »
Looking good Paulson! Mmmmmh, I do like those RST's............

Like the flag on the 3rd pic by the way  ;)

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
Looking good Paulson! Mmmmmh, I do like those RST's............

Like the flag on the 3rd pic by the way  ;)

Hi Matt, yes, the beech tree flag was an expensive addition, but it's so Now!

Have you used the mavic 721's yet by the way??

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Not yet... having some worrying leg problems at the moment, which no-one seems to be able to get to the bottom of. So the trip's on hold for the timebeing  :(

Fred A-M

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
Nice Paulson, v nice!

sg37409

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
Thats very nice. I am really enjoying mine. Its a great bike to ride: I've got the hang of the gear shift no problem, though I findmyself conscious not to hit my knee on the shifter. The false neutrals I got when it was brand new seem to have gone now: not sure if that was down to the cold or the newness of the hub. The tektra hoods are nice, they are a wider handhold than I'm used to but the QR at the lever is not very smooth. I would consider fitting brake levers on the tops of the bars as well (not sure what they are called)