Author Topic: sizing for tall bloke?  (Read 3879 times)

kangaroo

sizing for tall bloke?
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »
Evening all,

I'm 6ft 4in (193cm) and 15 stone (95kg) and I'm thinking of getting one of the following models with straight bars -

Sherpa 610XL
Nomad 590L or 620L
Raven Tour 587L
Sterling 610L

I haven't seen a Thorn in the flesh as yet, but I'm going to the bike show next week and hope to speak with them there, but in the meantime and if there are any similar sized riders out there reading this forum - do those sizings seem suitable?
Thanks
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:41:48 PM by kangaroo »

ians

Re: sizing for tall bloke?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
Hi

I'm 6'2" and have a 610L Sterling.  It's a big frame but suits me.  I'd be a little concerned about standover if I were doing a lot of serious off-road - but I don't.  So I'm not.

SJS are pretty good at fitting people to bikes.

Ian

energyman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »
Go to Thorn or send in your dimensions and you will be rewarded with a bike that fits you like a glove.  I'm a recent convert and my RST is a joy to ride.
(Rohloff helps though !)

kangaroo

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 05:14:04 PM »
That's good news - I don't know if I'm slightly too tall for the biggest bikes that they do - I don't want one that is 'just about' big enough - If I'm spending 2K then I want one that fits beautifully. If not then I'd go for a custom build.
Thanks

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
I'm 6'2" and have a Sherpa size 610S and an Audax Mk3 size 600 which are the largest sizes they make, they are very good but at 6'4" I think you might want to get something a bit bigger, depends how happy you are with steerer tube spacers and long seatposts, some don't like them aesthetically.

kangaroo

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
Is that 610S with drops?

rualexander

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »
Yes, 610S with drop bars.
Here's a photo of my Mk3 (green) and Sherpa (black).

kwkirby01

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
I think it depends on how much clearance you prefer. I'm 5'10" with a 31" inside leg, but comfortably ride a Sherpa 610S frame with drops... Thorn sizing would have had me on a 560S.
Kevin K. Glasgow

Peejay

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:53:57 AM »
Hi Kangaroo - I'm 6ft 5in and have just done the sizing numbers with Andy at SJS. I've ordered a Sherpa - 610XL with a 100mm stem and drop bars.

Pete.

paulsc

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 03:24:39 AM »
Kangaroo,
I am 6'05", evenly proportioned, and have a 610xl with straight bars and it fits fine.  I have a 12cm stem and could probably go a bit shorter.  You won't have a problem.  I did have a 610s and it was just too short, with drops, plus the 73 degree ST angle didnt work well for me. 

Pete,
I originally was going to go with drops and was steered towards the xl which surprised me  I just didn't believe drops would work with such a long TT unless a person really likes to be stretched out.  But now that I have it, I think it might.  My road bike is about 59cm from the tip of the saddle to the stem clamp and my xl is 62cm with the stem horizontal.  Going with a 10cm stem and mounting it with a positive rise would probably get me pretty close.   The 71.5 ST angle actually gives you a shorter effective TT length which helps.  Please let us know how yours fits. 
Thanks
Paul

Peejay

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:53:34 AM »
Paulsc - I've got my Sherpa now. Red 610xl with drops, stem is 100mm reversed. Riding position is really good - very relaxed with the bars almost the same height as the seat. If you're a big guy like me go for it - I'm really pleased with the bike.

Pete.

farmer palmer

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm 6'4" and 98kg and ride a Sherpa 610XL but with straight bars and it fits like a glove. I have slowly over time increased the bars height to nearly level with the seat for a very relaxed ride.

I toured Iceland to see Eyjafjallajokull volcano last may and was very impressed with my first Thorn. The wheels are excellent, I went for the 48/36 spoke heavy duty wheel option and run 2" Marathon XR's and the bike has coped very well heavily loaded on all the road survaces I've encountered including very fresh loose lava dust......!

The large frame seems to handle well at speed fully loaded reaching decents speed of 85kph on tarmac and 55kph on gravel. The bike is a two wheeled Landrover......!

I'm very pleased with it!

FP.