Author Topic: Thorn Ripio odd sizing  (Read 3098 times)

pascoa341

Thorn Ripio odd sizing
« on: September 15, 2010, 10:13:46 am »
Hi there, thinking of getting a Thorn Ripio so I can use the MTB for MTB'ing and continue to do some light offroading with my tourer. However, I find the sizing a bit odd. I'm 6 ft 1/2 :-) and would normally think I would have to go for a Large. However, that virtual top tube is massive (605 mm!). My current 19 inch mtb has a top tube of 598 mm and I already find that a bit much (granted I like short top tubes). However, the Medium version only has a seat tube of 360 mm, which is around 14 inches. That's a full 5 inches smaller than my current mtb! Is the geometry of the Ripio such that the virtual top tube in practice feels less long or do you simply use very short stems with it?

What am I missing here? I notice that the Sherpa has a more convenient virtual tube with the 585L model, but I would like the options the Ripio give me. Who can ease my mind?

Orange5

Re: Thorn Ripio odd sizing
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »
I'm also interested in buying the Thorn Ripio and I agree that the is weird. But things might not be quite so bad as they seem. I looked at the Ripios geometry chart and found out that the medium frame has 360 mm long seat tube. However Thorn measurements are from the centre of the BB to the centre of the top tube. I guess that the actual seat tube is about 40 mm longer. This is still a pretty small seat tube. My Orange 5 size 16 inch has about the same seat tube length and I had to buy a 400 mm Thomson seat post to be able get the right seat hight.
I'm 5’11’’ (180 cm) with relatively long legs. I used to have an 18 inch Orange Patriot mtb, but I always felt that the top tube was a little bit too long even thou I only had a 50 mm stem and 50 mm riser bars.
My long legs forces me to have the seat post high which means that the saddle comes a long way back thus increases the distance to the bars. My Orange 5 is a size 16 inch. The top tube is 582 mm.I use it with a 50 mm stem and a 19 mm riser bars and the fit is perfect.
For cycle touring I would like to have a more upright position and a longer seat tube.
The Ripio seem to be a really nice mtb touring bike but the seat tube should be a bit longer and the head tube should be a little shorter. 
I hope this post was of some help
Cheers mate  :D

philb

Re: Thorn Ripio odd sizing
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 02:11:18 am »
I think you would find the 'Virtual' top tube on the Ripio is not the actual lenght due to the slope. I was interester in getting one but the largest size is way too small for my 6'3" frame. I wonder why th Ripio is not made in a 'Large" with a long top tube for us tall tourers?