Author Topic: Can you recommend an exceptional bike lock?  (Read 8329 times)

Smith-Keary

Can you recommend an exceptional bike lock?
« on: September 12, 2010, 05:55:38 pm »
Can anyone help please?

I'm about to part with over £2,000 on a Thorn RST bike and naturally want to ensure that someone else does not get their grubby hands on it without my consent.

Can anyone recommend a rock solid lock that doesn't weigh as much as the bike?? It may be an impossible ask of course, but I thought it worth asking the question to find out what other owners currently do.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

julk

Re: Can you recommend an exceptional bike lock?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
I now carry an Abus Granit X-Plus 54 D Lock with a thick cable to fasten round objects too big for the lock.

I recently had an expensive Thorn bike stolen complete with same lock, but not fastened to anything as all the objects were too large for the lock to go round and I had no cable :(

I recommend some good insurance as well, M&S Contents is very good if you are a houseowner.

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:56:57 pm »
I'd suggest investing in 2 locks, one bomb-proof, one touring-friendly weight-wise, but as Julk suggests, always make sure your bike is locked to something immoveable.  You won't go far wrong in opting for Abus - in my opinion carrying an extra 1Kg on tour (in all probability in less crime-prone spots) for the bit of extra security doesn't add up.  Pitlock skewers in lieu of quick release levers to secure wheels (not to mention £800 of rohloff hub) is something else you might consider to put your mind completely at rest if you can't simultaneously secure the wheel.   
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:59:23 pm by Fred A-M »

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:19 am »
You must have a good U-lock plus some kind of a cable. I have the Abus Granit 54 D-lock; buy it with the Klickfix bracket which allows it to be fitted to your seat tube or possibly top tube or downtube depending on size. The lock is heavy but sturdy and known to thieves as unbreakable, which is probably half its success. (Also, it is good for defending yourself against carelessly driven SUV's, holding it by the U and swinging the crossbar end by its own momentum. Each hit on a Range Rover is a grand's panel work. The owners grow careful right smartly...)

I've just taken a self-coiling heavier cable off my bike and subbed a lightweight cable on a little winder, but I live in a low-crime area and my hubs are secured with allen key fastenings, not quick releases.

With your rear wheel protected by the D-lock, you might consider Pitlock for the front hub and headset through bolt, the latter to stop thieves undoing the headset bolt and shaking your fork and wheel out and walking away with them.

Something new that I looked at (but haven't bought yet because the available items don't reach or adjust high enough to give me the handlebar height of my present adjustable stem) is lockable bicycle steering, on the car model but reversed in action in that the bike version makes the bike unsteerable by unlocking the steering, and steerable by locking it up again. The two I looked at were Oredon and n'Lock, the former the prentice design by the designer of the latter; the n'Lock is uglier but better thought out. They too would require a Pitlock to the top of the steerer tube for full safety. The idea is that a thief will not steal a bike that looks as if it requires repair, and which is anyway not steerable. This is a smart idea where there is nothing to lock your bike to.

Here's a reference to n'Lock http://www.nlock.ch/default_en.asp but you're on your own trying to find an Oredon Freelock because its makers appear not to want to deal with anglophones...

My opinion is that a good D-lock for the rear wheel and Rohloff hub, plus the n'Lock with Pitlocks to front hub and top of steering column will permit you to leave the cable behind. There is also a Pitlock for the seatpost with an extension for the saddle, but maybe one can get too paranoid. (They won't agree with that last sentiment at http://www.lfgss.com/ from which I learned some of these tips and where you can find expert ratings of types and makes of locks.)

Don't forget to lock your bike inside your own house as well. According to some French information I saw when I was looking into the steering locks, half the bikes stolen are stolen by appointment, so to speak, from inside people's houses.

Andre Jute
Ride tall!

Smith-Keary

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 08:04:06 am »
Many thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

It sounds like the Abus is a must but then also some other type of lighter weight coil lock as well. I do always try to ensure that my current bike is firmly attached to some fixed object and yes it is even locked up when in a locked shed at home. The insurance will be arranged at the same time as the purchase.

Thanks again

Michael

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 09:44:59 am »
In addition to the above, I recently invested in and fitted a ground anchor and chain to the floor of my garage to secure the tandem and RST.

It took about 2 hours drilling, but the metal sleeved bolts cannot be undone without suitable tools, and it provides a great locking point with a suitable sleeved chain and shielded padlock.

Like the locks, an anchor is as expensive as you want it to be - I went for a cheaper one as I didn't have a pneumatic drill handy!!! but placing it so it's hidden behind the stored bikes protects it even more.

If somebody succeeds in lifting one of my bikes from home, they deserve it for their dedication!!!!

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:17:02 am »
.. some other type of lighter weight coil lock as well...

I'd make this one of the lighter D-Locks as I'd consider a coil lock too vulnerable to quick and easy theft.  To the best of my knowledge there's about a 1Kg difference between the most robust and lighter models (eg. Abus Gold and Bronze standard).   

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:01 am »
+1 for Albus Granit X-Plus D lock.  Note it comes in different lengths,  I have one with an extra long one so that I can lock two bikes to a fixed point and we can therefore share the weight of this heavy lock when on tour.

Most (all) light weight locks won't withstand an attack for more than a few seconds so with that in mind I have the lightest and least resistant lock I could find. It is similar to an Abus Combiflex 201 Retractable 1.6 mm Steel Cable Lock 70 cm.  This style of lock wouldn't stop any sort of true attack BUT it would stop a someone simply running off with your unlocked bike while you are inside the villageshop buying some supply's for the next day.  In towns or for time longer than a lunch stop I always take the Albus Granit

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:24:58 pm »
+1 for Albus Granit X-Plus D lock.  Note it comes in different lengths,  I have one with an extra long one so that I can lock two bikes to a fixed point and we can therefore share the weight of this heavy lock when on tour.

Most advice I read before I went shopping for a lock advises buying one as small as possible to give thieves the least purchase for jacking tools. Consequently I bought the 230mm Abus Granit 54 X-Plus D-lock and found it almost too small for a bike with 60mm balloons. Still, with a bit of thought it goes round a 4in post as well as the rim, balloon and frame, and then I defy anyone to get even a crowbar in there in a position where it can be levered.

Like yours, my secondary (cable) lock got much thinner, lighter and more convenient once I grasped the superior thief-deterrent qualities of the Abus 54.

Pity the Abus is so heavy though. But to get a genuinely better lock you have to go up to stainless steel motorcycle U-locks, and those start on the wrong side of five pounds.

Hobbes

Erudin

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
A frame-fitting lock is not too heavy, have seen them on a few touring bikes. The Kryptonite Mini Evo is not too heavy for a u-lock, I use an Evo and a Kryptonite Fahg mini on my workbike but they add 3kg to the bike's weight. I try not to leave my better bikes locked in public for long, preferably within sight, and any lock is better than none.

Link: AXA-BASTA Defender RL Safety Lock

Link: AXA-BASTA Axa Basta RLD Plus 180cm plug in Cable for Defender lock

Some good tips here:
http://www.bicycletouring101.com/BikeLocks.htm

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:57:06 pm by Erudin »

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 11:43:22 am »
Most advice I read before I went shopping for a lock advises buying one as small as possible to give thieves the least purchase for jacking tools.

I almost totally agree - all I will say in my defence is that because I am locking up two bikes there isn't much room left inside the D for a jack attack.  However locking two bikes together (and to a solid anchor) will never be as secure as locking a single bike -  AND it will be twice the target!  However this is the choice I have made. You were right to bring it up.

Fred A-M

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 01:00:06 pm »
I think the cycle touring article posted by Erudin summarises it pretty well - don't let your bike out of sight outdoors unnecessarily and when you have no alternative, take commonsense measures.   These bits of advice alone will probably mitigate against a high percentage of theft scenarios.   Pretty much no matter what lock you have, if you a high value bike secured on the street for over a sufficient period of time around where I live (Hackney,London), it would almost disappear within days/weeks.

I'm lucky to have be able to secure my bike in an external lock-up (I live in 3rd floor flat) at home and at work I currently have access to a secure underground garage with bike facilities - I always use a lock.   I virtually never leave my RST locked on the street for any more than a few minutes in London, and will ocassionally resort to public transport to avoid doing so. 

My experience when touring in Western Europe has generally been not to gravitate to any large cities or any mega-commercial tourist-traps- you're pretty safe in rural towns, but again it comes down to commonsense overnight - bar two occassions, I've succeeded in having access to a garage within a hotel whilst also using my light D Lock and will otherwise insist the bike goes in the room.   More often than not at campsites, I've managed to secure the bike to something with the D-Lock (bearing in mind I Pitlocks fitted to the wheels), usually within view or earshot of any would-be theft attempt (or if not within someone else's view or earshot!).   I feel sufficiently relaxed from my experience to conclude that as long as you steer clear of probable crime spots and apply commonsense, you don't need to weigh yourself down with an ultra-grade lock when touring - a lighter D-Lock  which from distance looks sufficiently robust to deter closer inspection has served me just fine.     

Julk's unfortunate experience just goes to show however that just making the smallest compromise in not securing your bike leaves you vulnerable -whether Julk's campsite was near any pocket of deprivation, I'm unsure, but it does very much sound like he was targeted rather than an opportunistic theft. 

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
Just been looking at buying a better chain and found this company ...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

Also have recently fitted PitLocks to prevent bits being stolen ...

http://www.pitlock.com/ (also available from http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pitlock-shoppitlock_pg1/)

This seems to be a good combination, perhaps with a top quality D-Lock in high crime areas?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 08:05:55 pm by StuntPilot »

Schornsteinfeger

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 08:21:12 pm »
There are lots of useful tips and addresses in the above messages.
Here is another one, which seems to have saved my saddle over the past six years : a small stainless steel cable (actually a former sailing boat halyard) attaching the saddle to the bike frame, with just a little slack to allow for adjustment, suspension etc.
It seems that the bikes of experienced urban cyclists are stolen less often than those of novices, so I believe that the careful choice of parking place, locking method etc are as important as the actual hardware used.
However, I also believe that, as the methods of bike thieves evolve, so we have to regularly upgrade our methods & equipment.

il padrone

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:38 pm »
I use an Abus Amparo ring-lock for quick, easy, always-there convenience, together with pitlocks on the wheels and another cable lock if necessary. Abus have a plug-in cable that can be used with it, but I don't have that yet. The ring-lock is great for that 'just drop in to the shop' stop - key in and slide the knob to lock it.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:58:05 am by il padrone »