Author Topic: Wobbling rear wheel  (Read 3056 times)

takeonafrica

Wobbling rear wheel
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:45:10 pm »
Hi,
A short time ago I noticed the rear wheel wobbling a little - it doesn't need truing, it's to do with the hub. I have since had the wheel off while cleaning the bike and put it back together. Recently the wobble has got a lot worse - lateral movement - any idea what the problem is?

I'm in Yaounde in Cameroon at the moment and have managed to find one person who says he is a 'technician' and had a couple of children's bikes for sale; so I've no idea yet as to his knowledge or tools available. but that's it.

I'd really like to know what to be looking at etc before I go to him and start taking things apart.

Thanks, Helen

julk

Re: Wobbling rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 09:09:30 pm »
Have you had any accidents to the back wheel/frame lately? Where is the wobble you are seeing?
Is the axle moving in the dropouts? Is oil being lost from the hub bearings either side?

Any of the 8 hub cap screws (torx tx20) loose? Should be 3Nm/25in.lbs.
15mm Wheel Axle nuts loose? Should be 35Nm/310in.lbs.
Pitlock or allen key system axle fastening loose? Should be 7Nm/60in.lbs

No progress - try an e-mail to Lisa at SJS and/or Rohloff for advice.

takeonafrica

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:56 pm »
no accidents. no oil loss.

when the wheel is fixed in the frame (dropouts i presume), if i hold the tyre i can move it from side to side even though the quick release is tight.

I've now taken off the wheel and the looseness is originating on the side opposite the sprocket - the black part (axle?, which the axle ring assembly fits in) within the silver hub casing moves about.

It all seems tight and solid on the side with the sprocket.

Any ideas what to do?

brummie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:03 pm »
My Rohloff developed symptoms similar to having loose cones on a traditional wheel during the winter - I rode it daily for a couple of months & the gears continued to perform normally without any problem. I did return the wheel to Rohloff for examination & repair, but got no explaination from them as to the cause or problem with the hub.

julk

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
Helen,
Check the 8 bolts holding the hub cap and the 5 (or 6) bolts holding the axle plate all on the opposite side to the sprocket are not loose.

If everything external is fastened up tight then the wobble must be from within the hub and it may be that one or more of the hub bearing have worn and need replacing.
I suspect it is then time to contact SJS/Rohloff, hub repairs worldwide should be covered by a warranty.
Julian.

takeonafrica

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:08:01 am »
Thanks for your suggestions Julian.
I've checked the bolts - all fine.

I've also emailed Lisa at SJS and Rohloff and they've both already replied. Basically they think the problem is with the hub cap bearing. Should be ok to ride on for a while but will need to be sent back to Rohloff for repair....

Just now trying to figure the best place to send it from... oh if only I was touring in Europe right now things would be so much simpler!!

julk

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »
Helen,
Sorry to hear that a repair will be needed eventually, but good news that you can keep on cycling for a bit. Hopefully SJS or Rohloff can suggest a good location for a carrier to send/receive the wheel and cause the least delay to your adventure.
Julian.