Author Topic: Thorn Rohloff eXp Stolen  (Read 4364 times)

julk

Thorn Rohloff eXp Stolen
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:11:39 pm »
My Thorn Rohloff EXP  colours: black and cream was stolen overnight (Thurs 27 May/ Friday 28 May) from the Queen Elizabeth Caravan site in Stonehaven.

It was stolen between the hours of midinight and 5.30 am, so technically it was Friday morning.
If anyone hears of it being offered for sale, or spots it anywhere, or comes across any other information that might help to trace it, please let me know.

ians

Re: Thorn Rohloff eXp Stolen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »
sorry to hear this.

ian

bobs

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:57:21 am »
Hi Julian,

very sorry to her that, bet your gutted. Thats not going to be an easy bike to shift.

Bob

sbseven

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 09:08:21 am »
Sorry to hear that, julk. Good luck recovering it...

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »
julk,

So sorry to hear this - I will keep a lookout

Cake

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »
Good luck finding it Julk - was it insured?

julk

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 05:57:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I will miss that bike and especially the well moulded Brooks saddle.
The CTC members around Aberdeen have been alerted to look out for it.
As Bob says it will be difficult to shift as a complete bike - I suspect it was targeted for the gear and will be used for components.
I am watching e-bay just in case it surfaces there.

The bike was insured and it is looking good to get something similar as a replacement.
Sadly Thorn no longer make the custom frames, their frame builder left last week.
I will probably be looking at a Nomad Mk2 as I like to be able to lug a heavy load.

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 09:17:06 am »
Terrible news.  I'm sure we are all going to be keeping a look out for anything on sale.  Interesting that Thorn no longer make custom frames.  Glad you had insurance to enable you to think about a replacement. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »
Sorry to hear about that, Julian. I hope you find another bike that fits as well. -- Andre

Relayer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 12:12:47 pm »
So sad for you Julian, such a nice unusual bike, and even worse if you cannot get a like replacement.

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »
Sorry to hear your news, Julian.

My insurance is due for renewal soon, and I will be looking round for cover at an affordable price . . . . the CTC insurance (who I am with at the moment) insist on a Sold Secure Gold standard lock, which adds a lot of weight . . . . it does when the bike is at home, and I guess while touring too.  I will have to look into small print.

Locks while touring / on a campsite were covered in a thread a while back - anyone got any uptodate ingo / ideas??

Lewis

julk

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:08:59 pm »
Lewis,
My bike was locked with a gold standard lock (weight over 1kg) through the frame and rear wheel. Sadly there was nothing nearby to lock the bike to. The fence alongside us was wooden and the wrong shape.

I think that in a similar situation in future I will either leave the bike locked to the nearest solid object (even if that is out of sight) or I will carry the tent roof extension and put the bike into the tent.

My insurance is house contents 'worldwide away from home' cover with M&S. They are settling this claim as the bike was immobilised, but I expect they will add a 'locked to an immoveable object' condition in future.
Julian.

lewis noble

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 05:07:14 pm »
There is a limit to what one can do, Julian - M & S used to have our house insurance, but refused to include the bikes, because of claims history - my son had 2 bikes stolen while he was at University.  So I insured with CTC.  I will just have to check all the conditions v. carefully.

Best of luck.

Lewis

lorraine1620

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:18:54 am »
I don't know if the original poster ever got their bike back, but there's one up for sale on Ebay which matches the description including, what looks like a Brooks saddle.

The seller doesn't list any technical details about the bike, or what it has been used for.   

Here's a link to the bike on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorn-touring-bike-/220831319471?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item336a9285af

julk

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:37 pm »
Lorraine,
Many thanks for the heads up, a very nice bike too but definitely not my old one.
My replacement was one of the last Rohloff expRs and is almost identical to the one on sale. It rides nicely and I will be on tour with mine next month!

The bike for sale looks genuine and was advertised here briefly some time ago at £3000 by one of the Thorn forum posters.
A class bike and recommended by me as they are no longer available new.
Julian.