Author Topic: Cape Wrath Lighthouse Road  (Read 1394 times)

Rodders

Cape Wrath Lighthouse Road
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:59:43 pm »
Together with a friend, I have the opportunity to cycle from Durness to the Cape Wrath Lighthouse next month (June 2010). After the short ferry ride, the road track is is described as 11 miles of varying gradients, and the reward of the remotest cafe in Britain on arrival at the lighthouse. What I'm struggling to find info on is the state of the road track. Descriptions on some websites indicate a MTB is essential, but I'd prefer to rely on my trusted Raven Tour if the track conditions allow. Does anyone have experience of this remote section of road in the Scottish Highlands and can advise if it's suitable for a Raven Tour rather than MTB? Rodders.

Fred A-M

Re: Cape Wrath Lighthouse Road
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:37 pm »
I cycled to Cape Wrath but didn't do the track you mentioned - time was my only decision against doing it, nothing I knew at the time about the state of the track influenced my decision - had I had the time, I would have done.   I am 99.9% you would be able to do on the Raven Tour - am assuming you'll not be carrying stacks of luggage given that you must return to the mainland in the same day?  Even then, assuming you're not carrying 2 weeks of food and camping gear, I am still certain you could do it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:36:31 pm by Fred A-M »

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:42:05 pm »
Piece of cake on a Raven Tour, no need for a 'MTB' at all, the road is mostly sealed although a bit broken up in places and with grass growing down the middle etc. If you have time, drop down to Kearvaig bothy and the beach, the bothy is great for an overnight stop.

Rodders

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:03:22 am »
Thanks guys - this is really helpful - it's a long way to go only to discover that you've brought the wrong bike with you!