Author Topic: Oil Leak from New Hub (426 miles)  (Read 1730 times)

j22jbl

Oil Leak from New Hub (426 miles)
« on: April 21, 2010, 06:50:51 pm »
Hi

I have the Rohloff hub in a new RST about 6 weeks old and with 426 miles on the clock. Tonight I noticed a small oil leak had lead to a couple of teaspoon fulls of oil to be deposited on the floor under the hub, chain side. The bike was leaning over at a slight angle in that direction, ie slopping towards the chain.

The oil seems to have wept from around the rear sprocket. Should this be a concern?

Thanks in advance for any advice before I contact Thorn direct for their opinion.

Cheers

expr

Re: Oil Leak from New Hub (426 miles)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
Hello,

take out the qr and have a look through the hollow axle, do you see oil in the hole (shine a torch in) and is the qr shaft wet with oil. If not can you see if its coming from the sprocket or the alluminium nut with two flat sides on>

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Oil Leak from New Hub (426 miles)
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:15 pm »
4 more question:

1: You say the leek is from around the rear sprocket - there are two seals in this area.  Do you think can you work out if the oil came from the seal that is between the hub and the sprocket or from the seal  on the outboard side of the sprocket.  I realise that is is hard to tell but take a good look - it makes a lot of difference.  (This is actually the same as expr 2nd question, just reworded)

2: have you recently cycled through long grass (axle hight).  One common thing that can create a leek is if vegetation has wrapped itself around one of the seals (most notably inboard of the sprocket)

3; Do you own the sprocket removal tool, chain whip and a shifting spanner?

4: Have you ever removed the sprocket and would you feel comfortable to do so?

Don't worry too much, it is perfectly safe to carry on riding a hub even if it has an oil leek - however yes this does need to be sorted.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:13:29 pm by stutho »