Author Topic: Spoke lengths  (Read 3029 times)

edwin

Spoke lengths
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »
hi

i am looking to build a wheel with a rolhloff and mavic a719 rims. the ERD of these rims is listed as 600mm which i have also measured myself and seems to be right. The hub measurments as listed by rohloff are 100mm, 60mm and 2.7mm. i have input these measurments into a number of spoke calculators and once rounded they all seem to suggest 272mm. but rohloff lists the recomended spoke length of Mavic A719 rim as 268mm, furthermore if you use rohloff spoke calculator with the ERD of 600, it comes out at 270mm. any one have any idea experience as to which would be the correct spoke length. is there a logical reason that a rohloff hub requires a shorter spoke lenght.

gearoidmuar

Re: Spoke lengths
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:39 am »
I suppose it could be a matter of style. Do you want your spoke ends protruding slightly from the nipple or flush with the screw slot. Either way, 2mm will probably not make a difference. I would go with Rohloff's recommendation.

Reuel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:46:31 pm »
Hello Edwin, I've got the same combination of Rohloff & A719 rim. I used 268mm spokes. The manual's spoke length figures are correct I'd say.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:49:21 pm by Reuel »

bike_the_planet

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 02:38:21 am »
hi

i am looking to build a wheel with a rolhloff and mavic a719 rims. the ERD of these rims is listed as 600mm which i have also measured myself and seems to be right. The hub measurments as listed by rohloff are 100mm, 60mm and 2.7mm. i have input these measurments into a number of spoke calculators and once rounded they all seem to suggest 272mm. but rohloff lists the recomended spoke length of Mavic A719 rim as 268mm, furthermore if you use rohloff spoke calculator with the ERD of 600, it comes out at 270mm. any one have any idea experience as to which would be the correct spoke length. is there a logical reason that a rohloff hub requires a shorter spoke lenght.

I have built a couple of Rohloff wheels. The shorter length of 270mm should be ok.

Warning: when building a Rohloff hub into a rim that is not specifically drilled to accept a large-flanged hub, you need to ensure that rim eyelet is capable of supporting the rather acute angle that the spoke will subtend due to this larger hub diameter.

For further information look at this older thread on the SJS forum here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2056.0. Particularly note Dave Whittle's suggestion which will reduce the risk of spoke breakages further down the track.

Tony