Author Topic: Cracked rim - RST rear  (Read 3143 times)

Crudson

Cracked rim - RST rear
« on: February 28, 2010, 02:23:20 pm »
Just spotted a few of these cracks on my hub wheel [rigida grizzly alloy]
Done about +4200 of fairly rough-ish commuting, so
not too bad I guess, although I would value some opinions?
Time for some carbides next time!
Also, I'm planning on sending it to SJS for a rebuild with new rim
rather than trust the LBS - bit too cautious?

geocycle

Re: Cracked rim - RST rear
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:04 pm »
That's pretty poor performance.  I'd expect at least 6000 miles from a rim.  How long have you had it?  The carbides are very good and I'd recommend.  I sent mine back to SJS as the LBS seemed unsure about spoke lengths and cold forming the spokes for the rohloff.  They returned it very quickly.  Might be worth checking with them when the wheel builder is in as they told me he doesn't work each day.  I'd phone SJS and email the pics.

Crudson

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 06:02:05 pm »
Appreciate those helpful comments....will ring SJS.
Had it about 8 months - It gets daily abuse and this winter has been a wee bit harsh
so I don't mind giving it [myself] a treat!!

brummie

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:32:44 pm »
Looks like you've just worn through your rim - Normal wear & tear. Wear maybe premature due to winter grit from the recent bad weather getting stuck in your brake blocks?

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:22 pm »
Rim life is dependent on several factors, most notably the brake blocks and the local grit!  Some will get twice the mileage of others. 

You were lucky to spot the cracks before the rim went completely.  I've had a rim literally explode on me and wouldn't care to repeat the experience.  it was LOUD and about 1/3 of the rim detached itself from the wheel.  The wheel then locked up, luckily it was a rear.  I switched  to carbide after that incident.

Carbide rims are NOT all good news however.  They can be REALLY noises when braking and although they outlast traditional rims by several times they are not immune to being damaged by potholes etc.  (Which may happen after just 1000miles making them a very expensive choice.)  I am not saying you should not make the switch,  after all  I did, but just be aware.

Some LBS will do an excellent job of building a new wheel, others hardly know which way to turn a spoke key.  If you haven't got any 'feel' for the quality of the shop's mechanic then I would go with SJSC.

Crudson

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
Update:
Opted for the LBS rebuild and after a few hiccups with getting
spokes, I've now been on the new Mavic 717 XC rim for a couple of
weeks and so far so good.
'Good Egg' awards to Shelley at Thorn for getting me a no-quibble refund
on the knackered rim & Dave at KCycles-Eastham,Wirral....!

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:08:27 pm »
Glad this is resolved and thanks for the update.  TBH replacing the rim has been the only time I regreted having the rohloff.  It's good to know you've found a decent LBS as this is by far the most convenient route (excluding DIY).  Top marks to SJS too.  It seemed a very early failure to me.

da_perama

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 08:42:01 am »
I was dissapointed from my Sun Rhyno rim that cracked after 25.000 km. I thought that rims last for ever. After reading Crudson's and geocycle's posts, I realise that I have to check them, in order to prevent the crack that make me walk 15 km carrying my bike and luggage.

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:35 pm »
I was dissapointed from my Sun Rhyno rim that cracked after 25.000 km. I thought that rims last for ever. After reading Crudson's and geocycle's posts, I realise that I have to check them, in order to prevent the crack that make me walk 15 km carrying my bike and luggage.

25000km is an extremely good life for a rim, you can't be disappointed with that, even on a Rhyno! Compare that to a Sun CR18 rim which cracked at about 6000km.