Author Topic: Would be Thorn owner's bike resto  (Read 3615 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
Would be Thorn owner's bike resto
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:04:50 pm »
Hi all, I am a new member and, at some point in the hopefully not too distant future, when I have vaulted numerous current financial obstacles, I hope to join the ranks of Thorn owners for real.  In the meantime, I hope this post is of interest to some of you.

I have had an old British Eagle MTB in the garage for about 17 years, little used, although it was set up as a tourer originally with front and rear racks, panniers and slicks.  This is what it looked like 7 months ago:

then, after a rainy summer afternoon of skinned knuckles, WD40 and brute force, this:

Then, slowly, this at the powder coaters:

I decided to try and restore it to a kind of touring look, so on went a pair of black sks mudguards, rear rack, and a pair of Schwalbe City Jets:

It's a proper, steel, 531 frame, so decals were procured to suit the new paint:

And after much pain and rebuilding, the finished article, now resplendent in a Brooks B17 and a nice Carradice Junior rear bag, as well as a new Shimano chain to suit the old Deore XT gearset:

She rides beautifully, and although a couple of snagging issues remain, namely the wheels need truing and the gears tweaking, I ride the bike locally as my 'shops' bike.  It was a really good fun project, the only problem is that of course the money one spends seems to increase exponentially as one goes along! 

geocycle

Re: Would be Thorn owner's bike resto
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:49:53 pm »
Wow, what a transformation.  Those old steel bikes make great tourers.  It also makes you realise where some of the thorn bikes evolved from.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:50 am »
Well done on an excellent job. 

I have a 'project' British eagle too.  Very similar to yours but in purple.  Unfortunately my 'project' has stagnated, it has being in my garage for far too long.  Looking at your photos makes me want to get on with it.

StuTho

vik

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:49:36 pm »
Well done...makes me want to strip down some of my well worn frames and get them powder coated!... ;D
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:11:24 pm »
Thanks Guys.  Yes, it does have a wonderful feel to it - my current ride is a hydroformed aluminum orbea road bike, which doesn't feel half as alive as this old beauty.

The powder coating, including sand blasting, was a very reasonable £40 all in.  Well worth getting it done!

travelling

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »
Well done paulson

it's refreshing to see people recycling good old bikes into working bikes again, a lot more casual tourers are now using 80's & 90's high quality steel mountain bikes and turning them into tourers.

A helpfull place may also be retro bike u.k.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:53:12 pm »
Well done, Paulson!

Pity that we don't see five or six fellows posting, 'Hey, here's a Raven Tour for restoration going cheap!'

Sigh...

tressell69

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:07:10 pm »
Good to see that you can still make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
looking good and fit for the purpose
Who done your powder coating?...40 bucks sounds cheap.

Cheers

Pasabeograd

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:54 pm »
Great re-cycling job.  Saving the planet by keep the steel on the road rather than in the scrap yard.  I wonder how many millions of bike are out there un-loved and un-ridden that could do with the same treatment?