Author Topic: Long way home, Bridgwater to Vienna Spring 2010  (Read 4747 times)

kingoftheworld

Long way home, Bridgwater to Vienna Spring 2010
« on: December 17, 2009, 06:53:07 pm »

Hi Guy's.

Picking up my EXP in the spring. The plan is then to cycle to Portsmouth
get the ferry over to Le Havre. From there I was thinking of following the Seine
to the source (Dijon). From there I'm not sure Switzerland & then into Austria.

Anybody out there that might have cycled the Seine ? Or have you any other
possible ideas for a nice route ? I'm easy on which Port I go from. 

Fred A-M

Re: Long way home, Bridgwater to Vienna Spring 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:43:24 pm »
Hi Kingoftheworld

I'm not sure that the Seine would be a particularly picturesque route, certainly not as you approach Paris and liable to be traffic laden.  Unless you know it to be well served by cycle paths and minor roads, my instinct would be to avoid the Seine either side of Paris or any major cities such as Rouen and Le Havre as long stretches are likely to make for uncomfortable/unpleasant cycling.   

A lot of cyclists seem quite content to cycle along easily avoidable major roads, which to my mind defeats the whole purpose of cycle touring, not to mention being quite dangerous.

If your really looking to get the most out of your journey across France, I'd buy a Michelin road atlas of france (£8/9) and tear out relevant pages for your actual trip.  It's sufficiently detailed to identify more rewarding rural backroads and  picturesque routes are clearly marked in green - planning accordingly has generally served me well.  I'm fairly certain that with a bit of additional research, you could generate a much more rewarding route.

Best of luck with your trip, look forward to hearing about it.

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 09:32:38 am »
How about looking at this http://www.eurovelo6.org/folder_listing?set_language=en as a guide.  I know it is a bit further south than you mentioned but that's no bad thing in France!  It is certainly on my list of routes to try but I've only touched parts of it and cannot really comment.

kingoftheworld

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 07:05:27 am »
Good morning guys.

Great information.

Fred thanks for getting me of the Seine part, your right, it does seem to be way to busy
& going by the lack of information I found for cyclists, not the most loved route either!

Geocycle you've sold me on the idea of cycling the Loire. I crossed it this year
on my way from Strasbourg to Pamplona (www.keepOnCycling.com) go to Journals
then video's for snippets.

So the Loire it is.Works well with the ferries from Portsmouth, also the more South I am the
better chance of good weather (theoretically) . I've cycled the Danube part many times.
I know it like the back of my hand, but I certainly never get tired of it.

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 09:59:17 am »
Well I love the Loire region but have not yet had the chance to cycle there.  Others on here (Fred?) might have.  Everywhere else I've cycled in France (mainly provence) has been fantastic.  Let us know how you find EV6.  Great web site by the way.

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 08:36:32 pm »
I haven't cycled along the Loire, only across it on a couple of occassions (the last of which was 26 years ago, aged 16!), but without a shadow of a doubt, it will be an infinite improvement on the Seine - I think Geocycle has come up trumps by way of a constructive solution. So much so that I'm sorely tempted myself should I ever get a suitably long window of opportunity!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:38:31 pm by Fred A-M »

kingoftheworld

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 07:49:51 pm »

Certainly would agree with you Fred, geocycle has really come up trumps.
Really looking forward (as I do every year) to my tour.

If I have done my maths correctly it will be around 2000km. So were see if I can do this in 3 weeks.
Might be heavy going, new bike, new saddle & certainly 5-6kg heavier than what I am used to.

All the best

kingoftheworld

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 02:30:11 pm »

Met up with Andy at SJS over X-mas. Genuinely nice guy, we had a good chat & I went away
with a good feeling that my future EXP bike was in good hands.

I'm changing my route slightly. I will follow the Eurovelo 6 to Lake Constance & then head for Innsbruck
(as the crow fly's that's around 150km from the lake) I'll then cycle the Inn River till Passau & then follow the
Danube down to Vienna. That's if the snow has melted by then. We're expecting 70cm of the white stuff
in Vienna this weekend!   

Cake

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 03:25:05 pm »
That sounds heavenly K.O.T.W.!

I hope you are going to post pics during your trip?!

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:00:45 pm »
just had a look at your video's great stuff really enjoyed them ,but,, did you meet any people on that tour, i dont think i seen another person in the video except in the resturant  .
when you get your new dream mechine, i would love as( would everyone else) to  see a full tour of the bike and your gear ,and please the next farmer or local you see do have a chat it's not all about getting from one point to the other. ;D
best of luck on our india tour .
cheers
jags

kingoftheworld

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 09:37:25 pm »
Hi Jags, Fred,

Glad you liked the vid's & a good point Jags, I never thought much about filming
the locals. As long as the star was in focus  :P  I'll try to persuade a few French & Austrian
folk next time.

For sure I will be posting vids & pics of the trip, certainly my new bike will become the rightful
star of the show.

Will keep you all updated
All the best
Simon

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »
great stuff simon i will look forward to the next batch of video's,now if i could only talk fred into making a few video's of his tours ;)

kingoftheworld

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »

Hi Guy's,

Well first the bad news. My Loire trip is off. Now the good news. I am pulling my cycle trip to
India trip forward by 18 months. I can't wait any more, life is just too short.

So Lisa at Thorn is now sending the bike over to Vienna (end of next week) & then around June I am
off. Just sorting out inoculations & visas at the moment & a million other things.

If you have time, I have uploaded a little motivation video on my site  ;D

Watch this space

KeepOnCycling
Simon