Author Topic: hi there!.  (Read 3323 times)

stevie coles

hi there!.
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:26:34 pm »
hey there, im looking for a new frame to replace an old trek 930 chromo mtb.
i want to replace it with another steel one, and ive been casting my eye over the sherpa frame, but i have some questions that i need some help with.
can you use a suspension fork on the sherpa, without ruining the geometry?, it would only be a 100mm fork.
can i buy the frame only without the fork in it?, i just want to transplant most cycle parts over from old frame.
i want a single bike that will do everything for me, light off road, tour, commute etc. would a sherpa frame be able to handle a bit of light xc?. i weigh roughly 14st 87kg, could it handle me and a weeks worth of luggage aswell, i notice the thorn mtb frame has a weight limit!.
finally is the sherpa the only frame with the capacity to run derraliuers instead of a rolhoff hub?, im not in a position to fork out for one of those at the min!.
any help would be much appriciated!!.
many thanks.
steve. ;D

Robin Thorn

• Administrator
Re: hi there!.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 11:05:23 am »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:07:06 am by Robin Thorn »

badger1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:08:44 pm »
A bit of a bump (to this thread), and hello all from a newcomer (in Canada).  I've been lurking/"guesting" on this forum for some time (picked up lots of useful info along the way); this thread finally prompted me to register.  The new 'Ripio' frame looks just the thing for me -- I've actually been hoping Thorn might produce a derailleur Sterling, and here it is. 
In any event a first question directed to Robin Thorn (or anyone):  is there, or will there soon be some more detailed info. available re. geometry etc., for example in a brochure?  There's some info. on the St. John site (via the link provided), but rather sketchy.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

pascoa341

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 09:17:38 am »
Same here, is the Ripio just the Sterling with derailleurs? And is it going to be offered as a whole bike?

Steve J

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:05:41 pm »
Me too. I think Robin is waiting for about 300 people to request the RIPIO as a complete bike before jumping into action!
297 to go!
I bought a Sterling last year and it is a fantastic bike that does everything Andy Blance claims it can. I did several hundred
kilometers in the USA last summer on this, plus some mountain biking on Mt. Tamalpais. At the end of each day my body had not a single ache or pain to tell me that I'd been riding all day long..the bike was that comfortable! Not a single adjustment needed the whole trip and the bike washed up like new.If the RIPIO frame is anything like this I'd surely be interested in getting one to replace my old alu-hardtail but here's the thing...the Ripio frame would be so much better than my old bike frame that I'd be wanting to upgrade the fork and drivetrain too. At that point it would be getting expensive enough to warrant buying a new bike, so I too am waiting to see what Thorn will offer as a complete build.
Over to you Thorn!

PS. Good to see a nice blue paint job on other as an alternative to dull black and green! One step closer to the purple I really want! and if anyone at Thorn is reading this..If i did buy just a frame, how come the only fork on offer is the good but costly Rockshox Sid? How come no Magura option? The Odur on my Sterling is impressive enough for me to consider the brand again!

Steve J

badger1

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:08 pm »
Far as I can tell, the Ripio is essentially a derailleur Sterling; the geometry has been slightly changed (re. Sterling), the frame is Reynolds 725, but otherwise very similiar in concept.  Pretty sure I'll be ordering one soon -- just have a couple more questions need answering.  In any event, as I've said elsewhere Thorn (Andy Blance) were very good/quick answering my initial questions about the frame, and did provide me with some add. info.  I've tried to attach a pdf to this message for anyone interested.