Author Topic: seized torx bolts?  (Read 3105 times)

geocycle

seized torx bolts?
« on: January 02, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »
Having trouble removing the torx bolts on the cable stops on the rohloff shifter.  I've got a good T20 driver but neither bolt is looking like budging without stripping the heads.  Anyone got any tips?

sbseven

Re: seized torx bolts?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 05:01:05 pm »
I'd try something like WD40 spray. Use the straw attachment to dribble it underneath the screw heads. Tilt the bike appropriately to use gravity to aid. Leave it over night to soak. It should unscrew in the morning...

You could also try heat. Pour a little boiling water over the cable stops and try to unscrew. You shouldn't strip the heads, as long as you're pressing the torx-driver in hard while you're turning.

Maybe use some anti-seize grease (e.g. copaslip) when re-assembling.

Shaun

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »
Cheers, I'll give the wd40 a go first. fingers crossed.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 05:37:06 pm »
If you have a soldering Iron then they work great for localised heating of bolts that combined with duck oil o9r WD40 normally does the trick

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »
The wd40 worked eventually.  There was some corrosion on the threads.  I'm pretty pleased I've moved these before having to do it on the road if I needed to change a broken cable. Used some grease when reassembling. 

sbseven

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 04:32:58 pm »
Nice one! Glad it worked.

When my Nomad first arrived, I removed and refitted most of the hex bolts / torx screws, just to be happy I could undo everything. I refitted everything with anti-seize grease.