Author Topic: A Fully Enclosed Chaincase That Works  (Read 38537 times)

Andre Jute

Re: A Fully Enclosed Chaincase That Works
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:31:10 pm »
I think you may be thinking of Frank Revelo's experience fitting the 38T Chainglider to his 36T chainring, as I have yet to try one.

Robert is talking about the Chainrunner, not the Chainglider, Dan, and he's further confused you and me. He's referring to my remarks on the Chainrunner above:

Quoted from post above by Hobbes (Andre Jute)
There is also a new contender, called a Chainrunner, which is an articulated plastic tube, split along one side, which fits over the chain and moves with it. It is fitted by Dahon to some of its models and available on Ebay from its German inventor. An experienced cyclist and engineer in Germany tested the Chainrunner and his photographs show that the thing leaks badly, grunge all over the outside, after about the mileage I do on any of my bikes in a year, which some of the commuters who contribute here would do in a quarter. That doesn't seem very practical or economical to me, especially not at 40% of the landed cost of a Chainglider, so I'm not planning on trying the Chainrunner unless and until the price falls to under a tenner delivered.

Andre Jute

In general, gentlemen, the cheapest chaincase that works is the Chainglider, which is not cheap at all, except by comparison to Utopia's Country, or by having fitting points brazed onto your bike, with the associated painting costs.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:37:20 pm by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »
Robert is talking about the Chainrunner, not the Chainglider, Dan
Gotcha. My mistake as well.

Thanks, Andre, for clearing up the confusion.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
Hebie advise I would need the "Extra Long" front half...something that is either not widely stocked or widely on offer among vendors.

Finding and ordering the Chainglider for any permitted installation is real simple, Dan. Go to Fahrradladen-Berlin http://www.fahrradladen-berlin.de/Alle-Produkte-im-Shop-anzeigen.html?keyword=chainglider and select the length of Chainglider front you want 455mm or 525mm by measurement and your chainring tooth count, then select the Rohloff specific rear end, which takes 15-17 tooth sprockets, and you're done. Tip: Click on the front end to go to the page and then in the order dialog pull down the box to find 44 teeth in both lengths as well as 38 and 42.

On your other problem, of whether 38T Chainglider will fit a 36 chainring, I'm now doubtful. Try this. Calculate the diameter of a 36, 38, 42 and 44 tooth chain wheel, which is roughly 6, 6.33, 7 and 7.33in. If the 44T Chainglider would fit the 42T chainring, why did Hebie make a 42T front end as well? The actual difference from 38T to 36T is the same as from 44T to 42T, a third of an inch, about 8mm.

After what we've learned from Frank's experience, I wouldn't spend the money on a Chainglider that isn't quite right, as it won't be if you choose a 38T front end for your 36T chainring, until I've inspected a successful installation with these specs, or seen photographs from a trusted source.

Andre Jute
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:29:12 am by Andre Jute »

RobertL

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 07:00:31 am »
Apologies for causing confusion, Andre is correct I am referring only to the Chainrunner, not the Chainglider, although at some point I have to figure out what fully enclosed chainguard works with an 18T/39T Alfine 8 combo. I think Danneaux did make comments on the Chainrunner but they may be on another thread. In any event the RST with Alfine 8 is working very nicely, quite sporty steering, very well built and yet feels light - the gear change system is excellent and the Alfine is totally smooth and silent.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 07:22:33 am »
Hi Robert!

If you're looking to protect your trouser-legs from the oily chain, you may wish to take a look at Thorn's line of bash guards, which work very nicely for that purpose. See: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=thorn&page=1#filterkey=cat&cat=504&page=1&page=1

They are available in a variety of sizes and BCDs, and I've been please with the effect a similar one on Sherpa and two of the Thorn versions on the Nomad (I had one covering my 40T 'ring, then bought another, smaller one when I swapped in a 36T).

I don't worry much about bashing the chainring 'cos I don't generally go over large enough rocks or logs when I am off-road. The bash guard does a dandy job preventing chainring tattoos on my legs...the kind that are removed most efficiently by a clean sleeping bag(!). My sleeping bag and silk liner will stay much cleaner on my next tour, thanks to the bash guard.

So glad to hear another great report about the RST/Alfine 8 combo. I rode behind an Alfine 8 today and was astonished at how truly silent it is. Many happy miles your way, Robert!

Best,

Dan.

RobertL

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 01:48:48 pm »
Main objective is protecting the chain and ring - I am ok with bicycle clips. Options are either changing the chainring to be compatible with Hebie models, or looking into Hesling models. Hesling seem to have a wider range and other threads mention that Thorn were looking into Hesling about 8 years ago. Have e mailed and will advise what answer they suggest.

Given the dozens of chain case or chain guard threads on all the forums there does not appear to be a Shangri-La solution, but would suggest Hesling appear from the web site to produce some nicely designed products.

http://www.hesling.nl/?lang=en#/Products/Chain Cases/Trekking bicycles/delgado/

macspud

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 09:21:14 pm »

Most Chaingliders sold use the "Standard" model front section....
Hebie advise I would need the "Extra Long" front half...

Dan,

Do you remember the max/min chain stay lengths for both the standard and extra long versions of the Rohloff specific Hebie Chainglider?
I can't find the info on Hebie's web site, the only info I can find is "Additionally various models are available in extra long (+ 7mm)" which would appear from reading this thread to be a misprint and should actually read ? (+ 70mm).
I'm probably just can't see it for looking (quite common with me) but the info is evading me.   :-\

Cheers,
Iain.

Andre Jute

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2014, 10:04:48 pm »
Do you remember the max/min chain stay lengths for both the standard and extra long versions of the Rohloff specific Hebie Chainglider?
I can't find the info on Hebie's web site, the only info I can find is "Additionally various models are available in extra long (+ 7mm)" which would appear from reading this thread to be a misprint and should actually read ? (+ 70mm).

I know your question is directed at Dan, Iain, but the information is in my post of March 14, 2013 at 10:04:27 PM, a few spots higher on this page: the Hebie Chaingliderz are 455 and 525mm long respectively, presumably centre to centre, 70mm apart, as you say. This means that up 455mm centre to centre you fit the standard Chainglider, and over 455mm ctc but no more than 525mm ctc you fit the long Chainglider.

Cutting down a Chainglider to fit your particular bike is not a big deal and needn't be particularly precisely measured or tidily cut as the cut end slides into the sprocket cover; I used a carbon blade in a metal D-holder.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:20:41 am by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 11:43:21 pm »
Thanks, Andre. I was out in the thick of the Weather when this one rolled in.

After the snowstorm, the ice storm, the snow-and-ice storm, we're in the midst of flooding and 60mph winds are predicted through the night to finish the job of pushing over what trees remain standing. Just out riding the realm looking at the damage. I figure the locusts are next, followed by raining frogs, the sun rising in the west, and rivers running backwards.

Iain, when I wrote Hebie last year, I asked...
My Rohloff-equipped Thorn (590M) Nomad has very long chainstays. When the eccentric bottom bracket (EBB) is adjusted fully forward, the chainstays are 476.5mm (470mm at the midpoint of EBB adjustment).  Will the *Standard* size front unit fit, or will I require an *Extra-long*?
And they replied...
In this case you need the Extra Long version . The advantage is that you can always shorten this chainglider.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:56:18 pm by Danneaux »

macspud

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2014, 11:49:26 pm »
Hi Andre,
Thanks for that, don't know how I missed that as I read the thread a couple of times, guess I must have done too much looking at a monitor & reading online today as the info just is not sinking in.
Cheers,
Iain.

...Ah Dan's back in from the storm, thanks to you too. :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:51 am »
Hi Andre,
Thanks for that, don't know how I missed that as I read the thread a couple of times, guess I must have done too much looking at a monitor & reading online today as the info just is not sinking in.
Cheers,
Iain.

...Ah Dan's back in from the storm, thanks to you too. :)

Iain, I've amended my post above so there can be no confusion, as I just noticed you were talking about " the "max/min chain stay lengths". Additional to the information above, we don't know what the minimum chain stay length is on which you can fit a Chainglider; when the question arises, someone with a standard Chainglider will have to measure from the bottom bracket centre to the sprocket centre of a standard Chainglider assembled to the last locking ridge to engage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:22:23 am by Andre Jute »

pyjamas

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 07:43:05 pm »
I feel frustrated.  All the talk about the Chainglider is of chainrings with 38T, 42T and 44T: just my luck to have one with 40T.  I wonder they would have missed out that size?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »
I feel your pain! I'm in the same boat with my 36T, Py'. Chaingliders are made for the most popular sizes only, according to Hebie's representative. I have not yet convinced them 36x17 is a Rohloff-combination.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:15 pm »
Well, here's a question for all the 'glider-wallahs, arising from PJ's frustration: would not a 'glider for a 42T ring work with the smaller 40T ring?  The fore-and-aft length and hence clearances would work, surely, because of the adjustable arms on the 'glider. The smaller 40T ring would have a slightly smaller diameter, hence a slightly tighter radius than the 42T ring, and that would ensure enough North-South (top-to-bottom) clearance. With the smaller 'ring diameter, the inner edge of the chain (that is, the edge of the chain closest to the ring) could perhaps make contact with the corresponding inner edges of the 'glider -- I don't know enough about the different measurements & clearances inside the 'glider case itself, to know this.  

Leaving aside the issue just mentioned, the only possible problem I would see, would lie with the rear portion of the 'glider's chainring assembly -- that is, less than full coverage of the rear portion of the chainring -- and even there, I'm guessing that any exposure of the ring would occur mainly at the bottom & top of the ring, where it exits from the lower cover of the 'glider, and re-renters at the topside.  Unless I'm missing something, the entire run of the chain would be covered, with sufficient clearances. (One could even leave out the rear portion of the 'glider's ring assembly.)

I was mulling this over in my mind the other day, thinking about the possibility of reducing my own 38T chainring to 36T at some point in the medium-term future, if I find the hills getting steeper with the passing years.  Seems to me that, in principle, a 36T 'ring would fit within a 'glider made for a 38T ring. (Similarly, PJ's 40T ring should fit the 'glider sized for a 42.)  

Dan, did you ever try to fit a 38 'glider to your 36T ring?  And if so, with what results?  I know that Hebie advised you that they don't have a 'glider designed for a 36T ring. Did they ever explain why a smaller ring might not fit a slightly larger 'glider -- say, a 36T ring mating with a "38" 'glider, or a 40T ring with a "42" glider?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:30:54 pm by John Saxby »

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2014, 09:48:32 pm »
At one stage Hebie, rather irresponsibly, told enquirers to their customer desk that they could run a 36T chainring in a 38T Hebie Chainglider.

A poster on this forum did try running a 36T chainring in a 38T Hebie Chainglider. It was ugly. At the back of the chainring there was a clear, continuous gap where on his photographs we could see air between the tips of the teeth and the inside circumference of the Chainglider. In my opinion that obviates the purpose of the Chainglider: you either have an enclosed transmission chain or you don't.

Two teeth difference on a chainring is 1 inch, 25.4 mm. That comes to about 8.1mm of difference on the diameter. That's enough to move the entire depth of the teeth out of the Chainglider on on side or the other. There is no way to equalize the difference to make the aesthetic and functional disaster less obvious.

Exactly the same applies in relation to a 40T chainring in a 42T Hebie Chainglider.

Yesterday, on a cold, windy ride, my companion suffered a dropped chain in the valley between two steep hills just when he needed to carry speed up the next hill. I waited at the top for him for ten minutes. He looked at my Rohloff box. "If I had one of those I could have a Hebie Chainglider and the chain would never fall off." Not never, but very, very rarely. It's an advantage we sometimes overlook.