Author Topic: Noise from the crank  (Read 3737 times)

Jorn

Noise from the crank
« on: September 27, 2009, 05:32:35 pm »
Hi,

I just started on a biketrip from northcape, Norway, heading towards Cape Agulhas, South Africa, with a brand new Thorn Raven Tour. I am however wondering if anyone could tell me why there's a "click" coming from my crank? It occurs about every round Im peadling, yet not always, depending on how hard i push. It doesn't make any noise if I just pedal without using any muscle power nor when im pedaling with much pressure.

Jörn Pedersen
www.bikecape2cape.com
www.kapptilkapp.no

bobs

Re: Noise from the crank
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 06:04:42 pm »
Check to see if your pedals are on tightly.

Bob

julk

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 06:45:11 pm »
Jörn
I had a similar noise develop.
I tried every bolt in the crank area and found a couple of chainring bolts were not as tight as they could be.
After tightening the chainring bolts the noise has gone for me.
Julian

pastafarian

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »
Perhaps there is dirt stuck on the front chain ring. If so, just remove the cranks and chain, then clean/degrease the chain ring. I had this problem myself recently, cleaning fixed it. Or perhaps you have a stiff chain link, in which case you can try giving the chain a "massage".

As I understand your post you are getting a clicking sensation and not a clicking sound?

God tur! :)

strictnaturist

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:17 pm »
Hi, I had this with my new bike.Turned out I hadn't greased the threads before applying the peddles.It happened again about a year later, which dissapeared when I put on more grease!
Good luck

jags

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:11:35 pm »
this was a problem i had with my road bike,i tryed everything to cure it stripped every moving part checked everything regreased and lubed anything that moved.still this bloody clicking .
turned out it was the bottom bracket was  crossed thread ,got it out stuck in a new one job perfect .

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »
Make sure the eccentric bottom bracket is aligned centrally within the frame - it could be that it's 2 or 3 millimetres off-centre in either direction.  I had a similar problem and once I repositioned the EBB to ensure that it was completely central it stopped - when tightening the chain using the EBB bolts, it must have moved out of position.  Hope you find a solution quickly so that you can concentrate fully on enjoying your tour!

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:50:40 am »
You've got lots of advice!  These clicks are very common in all bikes and the key point is to narrow it down.

Check to see if it is specific to one side.  When I had a similar problem I managed to pedal a few metres with one leg at a time using the SPDs to pull up.  This confirmed it was in the left pedal/crank. Start with the simple things, eg. grease and tighten pedals.  If still a problem remove crank (when you are near a bike shop unless you have an extensive tool kit) and grease the square taper, also reposition and grease EBB as Fred suggests.  There are varying opinions about greasing the cranks but I always do and have not had any problem.  Next most likely are chain ring bolts which could be loose.  If all else falls listen to your ipod on high volume!

Jorn

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:39 am »
Thanks alot for all the tips!

In a couple of hours Ill (hopefully) post what solved the problem :)

Hbunnet

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:24 pm »
I had this problem on my (low mileage) RT. Then when I transferred the pedals to another bike the creak came with it.
Turned out that the creak came from pedals (flat/spd) when used on the flat side.  The frame of the pedal was deforming slightly.  I stopped bothering about it once I identified the source.

jags

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 05:33:59 pm »
is there a prize for the winning entry ;D ;D