Author Topic: Child's cycling shoes  (Read 2377 times)

julian

Child's cycling shoes
« on: September 21, 2009, 12:04:46 am »
Has anyone found or used cycling shoes for a child? My daughter is 9 and wants to try using SPD pedals. I haven't seen any touring or racing shoes available so I was wondering about trying to fit SPD cleats to a pair of stiffened up trainers. It would be all but impossible to fit cleats so that they adjust like on adult shoes models as far as I can see. Anyone know what the smallest cleated / cleatable shoes you can buy is?

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Child's cycling shoes
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »
Julian,

I too have being looking - my requirements are slightly different to you. My 4 year old daughter has a habit of taking her feet off the pedals of her Islabike Trailerbike, normally when I am at speed.  I did find a shop in the US that stocked SPD compatible shoes down to a UK size 1  but given the price (I think it was $70 + shipping) I have decided to sacrifice a pair of normal shoes and just bolt the cleats straight through the sole.

I am sorry but I can't find the reference any more to the shop but I promise you they are out there - just keep on looking!

julian

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 10:53:51 am »
Hi Stutho

Thanks for that. I would like to try something similar. I think I might need to stiffen up bog standard trainers and I am not sure how to go about positioning the cleats. I could use a router to make a recess in the sole however....

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 11:55:41 pm »
I will let you know how I get on - can you do the same

Best of luck
stutho