Author Topic: Play in V-brakes  (Read 3447 times)

Cake

Play in V-brakes
« on: August 22, 2009, 06:24:19 pm »
My RT has Deore LX M580 V-brakes fitted and there is some back and forth play in the mounting.  I am presuming that there is a bush inside, but can this be replaced or is it a case of getting a new brake 'caliper'?

It is a small amount of play (2mm ish at the top of the unit) but the pad does change position relative to the rim and the play will only get worse.  I can't find any helpful info so wondered if anybody else had experience of sorting this before i needlessly take it apart only to be told about a secret hidden screw......!

Cheers chaps.

expr

Re: Play in V-brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »
Hi Cake, the M580's as far as I know are noe dicontinued, the bush inside is a press fit, the best thing you can do is look as to the possability of shimming behind the bolt against the arm. The better ones to go for are the XT or XTR they have the ability to be continually adjusted to suit by two adjusting nuts at the front.

let me know how you go on.

Cake

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »
Thanks expr!

I did wonder about them being discontinued as many retailers don't list them, but a few still seem to have some stock.

So, i'll look at shimming with a washer etc. If that doesn't work (or more accurately, I can't get it to work!) i'll get a new unit.  The XTR seems to be rather a pricey option - a quick look appears to be £70 ish as opposed to £16 for the M580. 

I'll see how it goes and report back with results!

Thanks again!

expr

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:44 pm »
Hi Cake,

yes the price of the xtr groupset components are up in the gods, so to speak!  I've had a look at the model you have got 'on line' but can't see them close enough to what what magic can be worked.

I have some the xt group set on my mountain bike, and Xtr group set on the Thorn expr, And have to say they are good. The xt however can't be adjusted like I thought but the xtr definetly can. both models especially the xtr give absoloutly no side play at all.

As you said, the best thing to do is try to see what comes apart and where the excessive movement is coming from, but be carfull not to over shim as when you put the binder bolt back in the arms may be to stiff to move or return to nuetral again, perhaps a close up picture of the area may shed a little more light on the possabilities.

Email if reqd.

Cake

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:45 am »
Yep, a bit pricey - £55 is the best i can find for a front XTR brake!

I think i will struggle to remove the play with shims - the play next to the bolt is minimal.

The M580 seems to have been replaced with the M590 (i may be wrong) and the bush is not listed as a separate part on the exploded diagram on the Shimano website.

So, its either M590 or the adjustability of the XTR.  I'll wait and see - the XTR would be sensible in the long term.......

Edit: Or have they been replaced by the LX T660?  I don't know!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:24:30 am by Cake »

Blacksail

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:47:55 pm »
I bought a set of XTR's for the front for £50 from Evans (they price match anything on the internet), I rarely use the back brakes and didn't need the added stopping power promised. That said after owning these for a month I just had to get a set for the rear. Very easily installed and setup.

Cake

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »
Thats a thought BS, i also rarely use the rear brake (slippery roads or used with the front for emergency arsehole avoidance measures!).

The play hasn't got much worse since i posted the problem, but when (if) i get some cash burning a hole in my pocket, i may well upgrade the front only - they sound rather good!