Author Topic: Drum brake to frame compatibility ...  (Read 2567 times)

Marin Boy

Drum brake to frame compatibility ...
« on: August 02, 2009, 08:01:56 pm »
Dear Thorn experts,

I have recently acquired a tandem frame complete with a disk mount on the rear. I wish to fit a drum (Arai) brake to the rear, but understand that I need to attach the reaction arm to the frame  :-\. Can I fit the reaction arm to the disk mount? Or do I need to buy an adapter? Or is the Arai drum brake not compatible with a frame which has a disk mount  ??? Any advice or experience appreciated.

Teej

Re: Drum brake to frame compatibility ...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 02:16:26 am »
put a disc on it.  a better brake by far - use a big disc and a tandem rated caliper

Andre Jute

Re: Drum brake to frame compatibility ...
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:04:14 pm »
Shimano rear roller brakes come with an arm and fittings to attach it to the chainstay. I imagine that so do Aral brakes. These arms on my Shimano roller brake equipped bikes work well.

There is no reason except expense that you shouldn't have a bracket made to fit the Aral at one end and the disc brake mountings at the other; after all the brake mounts were designed to resolve the torque of a disc brake. Precision marking-out and drilling will be required, the plate may have to have reliefs machined.

Note that the new brake torque reaction arm will be shorter, and very likely flatter, than the factory original, and will thus have to be made of thicker material. The Rohloff Speedbone, which works the other way around (it reflects the hub torque into the disc brake mounts) is a very thick piece of metal, whereas Rohloff's long torque arm intended for fitting to the chainstay is much slenderer.

Andre Jute