Author Topic: First ride!  (Read 1957 times)

SJ

First ride!
« on: July 23, 2009, 03:50:46 pm »
Hello!
Finally its here, my racing green 511L RST! used a couple of days putting it carefully together, and had a problem with a squeaking sound from the crank/ chainring when turning the crank when the bike was in the repair stand. Talked to Stuart from the forum and Daniel from SJS, mounted/ de-mounted to check if chainring was straigth and that the sound did not come from BB. Thanks to Stuart and Daniel! Daniel told me to ignore it and just go for a ride, and that was the best cure to the problem. Just came back from a short test ride, 20km. :) and now the squeaking is gone!! The bike felt really good! Smooth!:) Silent in gear 8-14, and quite noisy in gear 1-7, i thought it was just the 7th, gear that should be really noisy? but the noise seems equal in 1-7, is that normal? But the bike seems VERY nice! I look forward to get more time on the road with it. One question; Is it normal that just after the first ride like i have had now 20km, to see that the chain already look quite stretched? Hope it just bedding in and stays there. I`m waiting for a new stem from SJS which is a couple of cm longer and then my riding position will be perfect. 
I will post pictures of the beauty later,

Regards
SJ

julk

Re: First ride!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 05:15:49 pm »
Welcome to the world of Thorn/Rohloff.

I find gear 7 still to be the noisiest and none of the lower gears are silent. The upper range is silent except for free wheeling. As you will likely spend most of your time in the upper range, this makes for very quiet riding.

My chain stretched quite quickly at first. Wait until the chain is very loose to adjust the EBB - this makes sure the dinges the bolts make in the EBB are far enough apart. After a couple of adjustments my chain lasted a long time before the next adjustment.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures...

Fred A-M

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:35:56 pm »
SJ

Glad to see you finally get your bike and look forward to hearing of your impressions as you come to terms with the fact that your £ have converted into one very impressive bike.....you mentioned that you were intending to do some light touring - have you planned anything as yet?

Fred

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 09:49:28 am »
Welcome to the world of Thorn/Rohloff.

I find gear 7 still to be the noisiest and none of the lower gears are silent. The upper range is silent except for free wheeling. As you will likely spend most of your time in the upper range, this makes for very quiet riding.

My chain stretched quite quickly at first. Wait until the chain is very loose to adjust the EBB - this makes sure the dinges the bolts make in the EBB are far enough apart. After a couple of adjustments my chain lasted a long time before the next adjustment.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures...

Sound advice, many of us have been over eager to adjust the EBB.  Wait until the chain is nearly falling off; this really is a bike where less maintenance is better than too much tinkering! Noise seems to vary, mine is now virtually silent in all gears except for 6 and 7 after 9000 miles.  Enjoy the bike and don't be shy to post some pics of your adventures.

Cake

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 08:59:46 am »
Enjoy SJ!

I'm looking forward to a few photos aswell!!

Cheers!