Author Topic: New Voyager  (Read 6444 times)

lewis noble

New Voyager
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
Well, here we go . . . .

3 years ago, my wife bought me, as a surprise, a tandem she got off a friend . . . . great fun, but too big for me and lousy brakes . . . .

And I have been hankering after a Thorn ever since.  Picked up a dented Voyager frame from SJSC in the right size for me and wife, and they worked out a great deal for me and built it up.  It arrived last week.

The brakes work well!!  and we can't wait to get going on it.  Trying to figure out a way to carry it on the back of my campervan . . . .

Lewis - Sheffield

pinkvanmag

Re: New Voyager
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:05:57 pm »
Lewis, I just got my girl and I a voyager too. We love it but the only thing is we spend the first few minutes of every ride giggling our tits off! Happy Riding!
Magnus

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:50:10 pm »
Good luck!!  A shoulder injury to my wife is preventing us from really getting started, but we plan to go off on hols soon and will give it a go.

Keep in touch. . . . .

Lewis

exchangeandmart

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:57:23 am »
sounds great, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes when you're wife is up to it.

lewis noble

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:21:05 pm »
We took the Voyager to Germany and Denmark - ideal territory in Denmark for getting the hang of tandem riding, with smooth roads, low (and observed) speed limits, few cars and courteous drivers . . . . .

A great machine.  I'm having to get used to these multicog contraptions instead of the Rohloff on my Raven Tour, and I tend to agree with the Thorn website that Rohloffs are even more suite to tandems than solos . . . . But  I could no way afford or justify to her indoors the cost of a Raven Twin . . . . .

Rhyno Lite rims fitted. 

Fits well, runs superbly.  Posture too low to begin with, SJSC sent (free) different stem and riser.  And I swapped the stoker bars over from an old (too big) tandem that I had and my wife is well pleased.  Now running on 1.75 Schwalbe Marathons, seems fine.

Carried it (wheels off) across the back of our campervan, on a wooden mounting I attached to a Thule bike rack . . . .

Lewis - Sheffield

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 09:35:24 pm »
A great machine.  I'm having to get used to these multicog contraptions instead of the Rohloff on my Raven Tour, and I tend to agree with the Thorn website that Rohloffs are even more suite to tandems than solos . . . . But  I could no way afford or justify to her indoors the cost of a Raven Twin . . . . .

You could get rohloff compatible dropouts fitted to your tandem frame. Or you could get a raven twin frame for £700 and just swap  your existing rohloff wheel back and fore from your solo bike when required?

Dafydd

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 09:19:24 pm »
Hi All
Join us on Facebook, "Tandem Owners", for Tandem Owners, Stokers, past and present, world wide!!
looking forward to hearing from you all.