Author Topic: Thorn carbon stem  (Read 1998 times)

SJ

Thorn carbon stem
« on: June 07, 2009, 12:16:12 am »
Hi!
Just ordered my RST! With the thorn carbon stem and wondered if anybody use it on his bike and maybe have a picture aswell?
I am still a bit worried about the angle of the stem, if i got the right one, the carbon stem is 10 degrees and 90mm long. If i should go for a aluminum one it has to be the 6 degree, 80mm or 100mm. What do you guys/girls use?
Thanks in advance:)
regards
SJ

julk

Re: Thorn carbon stem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:33:27 am »
SJ,
Exciting times ordering a new Thorn bike! Thorn will replace the stem with a different one if you find the position needs changing once you have ridden the bike, just ask them within the 100 days guarantee.

You can also shorten the reach by using Thorn comfort bars, they have a rearward sweep which puts the grips a bit nearer than the straight type. My shoulders/back find these bars more comfy than the straight ones - it may be due to increasing age and reduction in flexibility!

I have the Thorn carbon stem in a 100mm length on my Thorn bike, It is a solid looking stem and inspires confidence when I ride with a 14kg load in the front panniers.
You can see some photos of my bike here

If you are looking to save some money, I fitted a Smica Pro stem from SJS to a son's bike which is used for laden touring and, with a fork change, for mountain biking. He is a big lad, his previous stem was creaking but the Smica has performed well to date. The shortest one currently available appears to be 100mm and might be too long for you.

Julian
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:39:30 am by julk »

SJ

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:26:19 pm »
Thanks a lot Julian, nice pictures!! Is your stem with a 10 degree angle? And is it 100mm? i can`t see 100mm as an option on the sjs site, just 90, 110, 120 and 130mm. If you have a 10 degree angle i will go for that aswell, looks perfect.

Best regards
SJ

julk

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:04:34 pm »
SJ,
Glad you like the pictures, please post some of your new bike after you get it.

Yes, my stem is 100mm with a 10° up or down angle, currently angled down. They must be out of stock in 100mm size just now. I am reserving the angled up position for if I ever need a more upright stance.
The 100mm is measured from the centre line of the bar clamp to the centre line of the fork riser clamp.

I would trust SJS to fit a stem which will give you the correct reach.
Julian.

SJ

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:48:41 pm »
I will do so, it will take about seven weeks before its here..
Thank you for answering!
SJ