Author Topic: RST 511L / 536L  (Read 2997 times)

SJ

RST 511L / 536L
« on: May 30, 2009, 10:51:15 pm »
Hi!
New in this forum, have been looking at raven sport rohloff for a while and i am very near the decision:) i am struggling a bit with which size..
I no that i am not the only one.. Well i am about 173cm height, leg length is about 78 cm with shoes. I will go for straight bars so i have to have the L version, Are there anyone out there with my sizes, riding a RST with straight bars? It has to be 511L or 536L, does anyone got any pictures?
Thanks in advance,
regards
S

stutho

• Administrator
Re: RST 511L / 536L
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:55:45 pm »
SJ,

Welcome to the forum!

I am a good 10cm taller than you,  so I can't help with the specifics for sizing your bike.  However I thought I would jot a few observations on sizing. 

If you lie on the borderline of being able to use the next size up I would always stick with the smaller size.  I know there are some that say to get to always get the biggest frame possible but I disagree.  It is MUCH easer to maker a smaller frame fit - by using longer seat posts and stems.  If you are touring it is also adventitious to have a lower top tube - eases getting on and off with panniers.

Give SJS Cycles a phone - they are experts at fitting people for a bike over the phone!  If when the bike arrives and you are not happy with the fit SJSC will change the frame free of charge - they offer a 100 day no quibbles return policy - that more than one person on this forum has made use off.

I am sure you will love the RST.  I use mine every day for both commuting and pleasure, It is a great bike.

Stutho

SJ

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:58:54 pm »
Hi Stutho!
Thank you for you answer, Just wonder, stupid question but anyway; have you seen a rst in size 511L? How does it look? is the slope bigger than on
the larger sizes? I“wood be very happy to see some pictures. Even larger sizes of course:)
I have made a list of upgrades that i am considering; Wheels: Rigida Grizzley, Brakes: xt, Front hub, Black xt, Rohloff: black, Saddle: Brooks, maybe team professional, Bar-ends: sjs ergo bar-ends,
The frame color should be matt black stealth finish:)
Have you tried Swhalbe marathon Supreme folding tire in 16x1,60“?
What do you think?
Thanks,
S

SJ

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:00:16 pm »
The tire size: 26x1,60“:)

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »
My RST is a Mk1 which is slightly different to the current model (most notably in the tyre clearance).  I am a fan of drop bars and therefore I have the 'S' Version of the frame.

Can I ask what is your target mission for the RST? Your spec looks great for a fast commuter / light tourer.  The only change I would make (£ allowing and if intending to do high mileage) is to get the Tungsten Carbide version of the Grizzlies.

My current (road) tyre is  Panaracer Pasela TG 1.25"  which is light, fast & almost puncture free - however I am not entirety convinced by them, there is cracking in the side walls.  I have not tried the Marathon Extreme but it looks a 'lot' of tyre for road concisions - Maybe your mission is more off-road than mine ;-)

Have you spoken to SJS Cycles re ther sizing yet?

Best regards

Stutho   

SJ

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 12:52:27 pm »
My mission is to use it as much as possible:) Commuting / light touring, some off-road, but not heavy. The wheels i was thinking about is the tungsten ones. do you or anyone else have any experience with these? anyone else using the marathon supreme tire on their rst? (26x 1,60)
I will call Robin tomorrow re sizing etc.!  :)
Are you using the standard  thorn crank stutho? which  sprocket size front/ rear. Do you now what gear inches the  standard setup will give?
Thanks!
Best regards
S

Joatamon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »
SJ,

I started out with a 511L RST and whilst it was probably possible to get bars, pedals and seat in the right place I felt as though I was overpowering a small bike.  I changed to a 536L and it immediately felt much better.  I'm about 4-5 cm taller and longer legged than you, though.

I have the Thorn "comfort" bars which sweep back towards the rider.  Do these count as straight?  I often wonder what is actually meant by straight bars.

Gearing is something else I've changed, though I do use it more or less as a full on tourer now.  I now have 40 x 16 which gives a range of 18.1 - 95.4 gear inches.  Recently I had to push it, fully laden, up a steepish gravel path in Germany - and found myself wishing I'd gone the whole hog back to the 38 x 16 which Thorn suggest.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 02:33:19 pm »
Sj,

I built up my bike myself, hence lots of non standard parts.  

I am using Shimano XT cranks - don't recall the length but probably 175mm

My gearing is 42  X 17  which is perfect for MY needs, but gearing is a very personal thing.  For a educated guess to the gearing YOU need I would look at your average speed on the flat and your average cadence.   You will probably want to end up using either gear 11 (1.000) or 12 (1.1350) on the flat this will be your normal gear.  

Flat speed(in kph) * 1000 / 60 = Flat speed  (in meters  per a min)
Flat speed  (in meters  per a min) / cadence = Distance per a pedal stroke
Distance per a pedal stroke / Tyre circumference (in meters) = Rear wheel rotations req per a pedal stroke
Rear wheel rotations req per a pedal stroke / your chosen 'normal' gear Rohloff = spur gear ratio
spur gear ratio * 15 = required chain ring size for a 15 tooth spur
spur gear ratio * 16 = required chain ring size for a 16 tooth spur
spur gear ratio * 17 = required chain ring size for a 17 tooth spur

So taking myself as an example:
Ave speed = 25kph,  cadence = 80 & tyre circumference = (0.62*PI) = 1.95m
My perfect chain ring would be 42.8 which I rounded down to 42 (I value the low gears more!) I generally find myself in gears 11 or 12 on the flat which is what you would expect!

FYI the Rohloff ratios are:
Gear:     
1    0.279   
2    0.316   
3    0.360    
4    0.409       
5    0.464       
6    0.528    
7    0.600          
8    0.682           
9    0.774       
10  0.881       
11  1.000       
12  1.135       
13  1.292       
14  1.467

Min chain ring sizes are:

40 on the 17 spur
38 on the 16 spur
36 on the 15 spur
32 on the 13 spur

(there is no max size)

(my wife, who rides a RT uses 17 *40 and loves the extra low gears) 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:39:17 pm by stutho »

SJ

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 05:21:25 pm »
Thanks a lot guys! very helpful  :) Regarding the handlebars joatamon, i think i will go for the normal straight bars which is almost entirely straight, with sjs ergo barends. Do you have a very upright position when your on the bike? do you use barends?
I`m looking forward to talk to Robin tomorrow and maybe finish the order! I`l be very happy for more inside information on the rst from you wich have experience with the bike. Pictures? Is there anything else i should now before i take the decision?
Thank you for your help!!
Best regards
S

Joatamon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 07:28:46 pm »
My bars are a little above my saddle, maybe an inch or two at most.  I have the inboard cow horn thingies which are of no use except to trap the map between so it doesn't flap about...they're no. 2 on the "items to ditch" list.   I find I can cycle for hours with  the same hand position so maybe Thorn got the "comfort bars" just spot on.

Actually I started out with the carbon comfort bars but got nervous about clamping my bar bag on them, and changed them for the identical alloy ones.  Maybe my caution was misplaced, but they were no. 1 on the ditch list.

Here's my bike with the 511L frame.

SJ

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:46:22 pm »
Than you very much Joatamon!! Great! question;Why do you have a lot of spacers above the stem? and which angle is your stem? how many cm in reach from saddle? Maybe to much to ask about, but do you have a picture of your 536L aswell?
Thanks a lot!!
S

Joatamon

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:45 pm »
Well, the bike was nearly new when that picture was taken;  I've cut the stem down a bit now I'm totally comfortable with my setup.  I still have a 45 degree stem but with no spacers below.  I have one of those accessory bars which fits on top of the stem so my GPS goes neatly in the space right over the steerer tube.   Here it is loaded up to the hilt - this is the 536L:

Regarding fit etc., I think you need to be guided by Thorn and maybe your personal preference - they must have all the dimensions and variations to hand.  In truth, with that lot on board, conventional wisdom would probably dictate a Raven Tour - I've  thought about changing the frame to a RT once or twice;  then I think, the bike fits me like a glove, I pedalled that lot 490 miles in seven days recently, why spoil something that works so well for me?

SJ

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:04 pm »
Thanks again joatamon! Yes, you are right about the fitting question, i will talk to Robin Thorn tomorrow:) very nice of you to load up the pictures, looks great!
Are you inside the the weight limit on 17 kg? Have you had the bike for a long time?
I did not now about the  accessory bar:)
I agree with you, when it works well!! perfect.
S