Author Topic: Kiddyback tandem or trailer bike  (Read 6433 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Kiddyback tandem or trailer bike
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:06:31 pm »
Hi all,

Dilemma,  My 3 year old daughter is now too big for her child seat (she is a very big 3 year old  looks more like a 4 1/2 year old).  This summer My wife and I are intending to take the children on a cycle tour - keeping the mileage right down to about 20 miles (or less) a day. 

I have two options.

Buy a second Islabike Trailer bike.  My 5 year Son has one.  These are great, VERY stable (attached vir a rack) and not to be confused with you average tag-a-long.

Alternative should put the 5 year old on a Kiddyback tandem and do a hand-me-down on the trailer bike. 

As I see it there are advantages and disadvantage both ways:
  • Trailer bike is much cheaper (but still not cheep)
  • Trailer bike is easier to transport (unless I get S&S couplings on the kiddyback $$$)
  • Trailer bike is a know solution for me - better the devil you know!
  • Kiddyback would be even more stable than the Trailer bike
  • Kkiddyback would allow more luggage than the Trailer bike - This is a big concern (4 sleeping bags take up a LOT of room)
  • Kiddyback would have a bit more growing room than the Trailer bike
  • Kiddyback would force my son to peddle - I can't make up my mind if this is a plus - he often get lazy on the trailer bike

If money was no object I would go for the Kiddyback, but I work hard for my money.  Has anyone experience of both a kiddyback and a trailer bike (pref. Islabike).  How much better is the Kiddyback?

For the last few summers instead of true touring we have taken the Children on Day after Day, Day tours, retuning every night to a cottage / gite  They are both very fond of cycling and my daughter is itching at the bit to move on from the child seat to the Islabike.

Any comment gratefully received

StuTho       

cjhfield

Re: Kiddyback tandem or trailer bike
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:28:46 am »
Hello, I have had a tagalong and now have a tandem (for the last 6 years or so). In my experience kids get bored on tagalongs but never on the tandem. Tandems are so much more involving. I have crank shorteners on the rear cranks and that lowers the effective saddle height so I think my tandems frame would fit a 5 year old. Another big help has been the Power Grips instead of toe clips - I used to do up the toe clips very tight to stop the kids losing the pedals and it was quite a balancing act but since fitting the Power Grips the kids can lock in securely by themselves and twist out when they want to.

Tandems allow you to go much further because they are just more efficient. We have ridden up to 70 miles together in a day and I think 50 miles even when my son was 6.

Tandems are great things to buy second hand because they usually have low milage on them - they are usually special occasion bikes rather than every day transport. Typically you can sell them for what you paid for them.

Good luck,

Chris