Author Topic: what model thorn should i buy  (Read 3372 times)

jags

what model thorn should i buy
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:13:37 pm »
okay boy's help me out here,one of the lads in our groop want's to buy a touring bike,and im the one he came to for advice,his budget is 1500 to 2500, he will want drop handlebars, racks front/back,he know's nothing of the rohloff hub ,so it could be xt or xtr groopset.excellent wheels and hubs,so it's basically what model of thorn to choose ,hope you can give me some info on this,,thanks .

julk

Re: what model thorn should i buy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:02:50 pm »
If he wants to tour with a full camping load, and you did say racks front and rear.

Get him on a Raven Tour, with drops, from £1599. Includes all the benefits of a Rohloff.

Sherpa (26" wheels) or Club Tour (700c wheels) if he insists on having a derailleur, both from £999.

What a difficult decision to make...

Prices will rise as £££ slumps against other currencies.

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
thank's for that julk,is that raven with the drops a special order,what other upgrades would be best.might as well get the best now as later .

julk

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »
Jags,

The Raven Tour can be set up with any handlebars. Drops usually involve having a short frame top tube, straights having a long frame top tube to get the reach right.

If your friend is used to riding a road bike then he will probably prefer drops. If much rough riding off-road with luggage is planned, then straights may be a better idea for extra control.

Upgrades, the list could be endless, but I would start with :-
Carbide coated heavy duty rims, XTR V-brakes (on straight handlebars), Rohloff chain, Schmidt dynohub, B&M 4D Toplight rear light, Supernova E3 or Solidlights XB2 front light (either will drive the rear light as well), SDP pedals, Brooks B17 or Flyer saddle, Topeak Turbo Morph Mountain pump, 3 bottle cages and bottles, Thorn rear rack, Thorn or Tubus front rack, Brooks leather mudflaps on 2" mudguards, Schwalbe tyres, Ergon performance grips (on straight handlebars), Cayeye wireless computer, revolving bell.

Other things to consider, chainset/cranks, stem, handlebars, tools for roadside repair, Rohloff spares, luggage.

Lastly, wireless bike computers can be problematic when fixed near led dynamo lamps, it may be better to get a wired one.

Have I spent enough yet?

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 07:52:22 pm »
julk your a star,that sound's like one hell of a bike.im thinking he would prefair the drops to straight bar's. i will let him know all that .after that it's up to him.
julk thanks again hopfully he will buy.
 cheers
 jags.

peter jenkins

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:51:03 am »
You left out the Garmin 705 Edge GPS enabled bicycle computer.

He needs to know where he's going.....

I've had mine for about a month now and it's a very useful bit of kit. Apart from the GPS function (great for Audax rides if you key in the directions beforehand) it performs all the usual bike computer functions plus HR and cadence. (and power, if you have a powertap or similar)

If anyone else in ThornWorld is using one I'd be intersting in hearing about it, particularly if you are using MemoryMap software. I will be visiting the UK in May and will need to buy the appropriate maps. I am seriously considering memorymap rather than the Garmin offering but that is based on their advertising rather than anything else.

Cheers,

pj

freddered

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:28:13 am »
thank's for that julk,is that raven with the drops a special order,what other upgrades would be best.might as well get the best now as later .

For the best braking with Rohloff and drop bars fit AVID Ultimate V-brakes and Tektro V-brake levers.  Superb combination which allows you to run the brake cable into the correct side of the V-Brake for UK setup (ie.  front brake lever = right hand).

Also, he would need to make sure there was enough steerer, under the stem if he wanted to fit the shifter there (the best place on drops I think).

There are plenty of piccies of my Drop-bar Raven Tour in the gallery to figure out what I mean.

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:40:27 pm »
thank's peter and fred.well i gave him all the info so it's entirly up to him what to do with it.
i see the sherpa got a good review in cyclingplus this month,just thought i would mention that.

jags

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 11:10:28 pm »
well my buddie finally got back to me about his new touring bike,
i told him to go for the top spec sherpa,he looked it up on the site ,and likes the look of it.
i have no doubt in my mind ,he will mull over this for a couple more week's before he parts with his money.
can't blame him i suppose,the local bike shop can get him the ultra galaxy for around the same price
,but i think the sherpa has better gear on it,can't be sure of that.