Author Topic: Has anyone used the S&S Backpack Case for flights ?  (Read 5319 times)

AndrewC

Has anyone used the S&S Backpack Case for flights ?
« on: January 10, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »
I'm off to the USA in May to ride from Seattle to San Francisco.

I've always flown with an assembled bike, usually in a giant poly bag. This has usually been OK but I got a bent skewer & dinged frame coming back from my last trip.

BA now has pictures of various bike bags, big poly bags are not amongst them so  I'm not sure if they are still accepted.

I have a Velox bike bag.  I can put the disassembled bike in this with lots of foam, bubblewrap & cardboard. Dispose of the packing in Seattle and mail the folded up bag to a hotel in San Francisco.

Or I can use the S&S couplings on the bike, break it down completely and buy a S&S Backpack from SJS , again use lots of padding and mail this to be collected in SF.

Question - Has anyone used the Backpack Case and if so, how did you find it ?

rualexander

Re: Has anyone used the S&S Backpack Case for flights ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 11:17:19 pm »
BA used to supply you with a large polythene bike bag with their logo on it at check-in, certainly for domestic and european flights, not sure about transatlantic though, and I haven't flown with them for a few years, so couldn't say what the current situation is. That S&S backpack looks pretty useless, carrying that kind of weight on your back without a good hip-belt would be horrble although I guess you would only be carrying it a short distance.

percussionken

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 10:25:31 pm »
Hi

Have used the S&S backpack case for a couple of years now with no problems when using flights. Itīs a great compromise between secure cover and to be able to pack it flat with no bike in it. Last summer I had it on my trailer when touring from one point to the other. The weight for the backpack is around 3 kg and the Cordura material feels very strong.
And when your bike is in the backpack itīs more comfortable to walk around with it, compared to a ordinary bike bag.  The bike on your back and the hands free for other stuff.

spoon boy

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:22:17 pm »
I've read one or two long traveller logs and some have said don't use a bag as the thicko's loading just throw it in as any other box

For when I need to I was considering using that plumbing insulation tubes over the bike frame and forks for extra protection then cling film to ensure the loaders can clearly see it's a bike and would normally stack it accordingly.

Plus I don't want to spend big pennies for a box that I'm stuck with the other side

AndrewC

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:29:17 pm »
Hi

Have used the S&S backpack case for a couple of years now with no problems when using flights. Itīs a great compromise between secure cover and to be able to pack it flat with no bike in it. Last summer I had it on my trailer when touring from one point to the other. The weight for the backpack is around 3 kg and the Cordura material feels very strong.
And when your bike is in the backpack itīs more comfortable to walk around with it, compared to a ordinary bike bag.  The bike on your back and the hands free for other stuff.

How much hassle is it to pack the bike ?  Can you also fit racks & mudguards in there ?

percussionken

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:54 pm »
Well it usually takes some time to pack it, for me around 45-60 min. Mostly because you use it maybe once a year, so when itīs time to pack the bike you start from scratch everytime. And you need to cover the frametubes with something, I use pipeisolation (sorry, is this the right word in english?) I dont see time as  problem, but dont do this in a stressful situation, it so easy to forget some tool or component outside the bag when you close it, at least for me  ???

No problems with mudguards, I put mine around the wheels. Rear rack might take some work to get it in the bag, for me it does. You also have to take right crank of from the bottom bracket, I just need a 8 mm hex wrench for this.

Is it worth the cost and time? I like the idea that I dont have to think about restrictions, bike on flights, except weight. Myself Iīm going to fly to Denver this summer and back from San Francisco. Flying with US Airways and as long as I keep this bag under 24 kg there will be no charge and check-in personal have no idea that its a bike in it so they can charge loads of dollars.

And lastly I can take the bag with me on the bike, just pack it flat in 1 min. Something you cant do with the solid Samsonite S&S suitcase.   

AndrewC

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:21:12 pm »
Thanks for the information.  Insulation is the word you were looking for.

I have a much larger cordura bag I can put the bike in , that will require lots of extra padding and will not be so easy to manouver, but I don't need to buy another one.

For an A-B tour I'd be tempted to book my last nights accomodation and mail the bag to them.

On my last flight home I planned to check one pannier as hold luggage and take one into the cabin.  I got them mixed up and found myself carrying the one with the stove & knife in it  :o   I had to dump a good Swiss Army knife, thankfully they didn't make a fuss about the Trangia.

spoon boy

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:06 pm »
Have you considered a direct delivery service say ups..dhl..fed ex ?

I only suggest this as having seen the bicycle luggage charges

If my viewing of the pages seems right.. and I hope I'm wrong ..it appears trans atlantic flights charge you around Ģ25 for your bike

However if you then step off that flight and go to an internal american flight to somewhere else in the u.s. they can charge you upto $125 dollars each way!

So maybe a direct courier to a place point if you know someone over thier it could be delivered to?

AndrewC

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 11:47:53 pm »
I'm flying direct to Seattle with BA and back from San Francisco. No charge for the bike. This means I have to get down to Heathrow.  I could have flown from Manchester to the east coast and then flown on but didn't choose this option because of the extra charges you mention.

AndrewC

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:43 pm »
Well I've now got an S&S Backpack case and the big Nomad has had a trial pack. It fits!, although I've not tied to put the racks & mudguards in yet.

One thing that concerns me is that the fork is touching the rigid plastic panels that line the case at top & bottom.  I'm wondering if it would be safer to remove the forks and pack them diagonally across the case.  An extra bit of fiddling when it comes to reassembly though.

All packing hints & suggestions welcome.

LWaB

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:33:25 pm »
I use the S&S tube covers around all frame tubes. http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_cover.htm It is much thinner and more abrasion resistant than pipe insulation.  I've had my S&S-coupled Frezoni since 1999 and the S&S backpack for over 5 years.  Hardcases are a real pain.