Author Topic: Vik's Nomad S&S  (Read 47785 times)

vik

Re: Vik's Nomad S&S
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 02:57:29 pm »
Note to self....self get on with the last few jobs you need to finish off this bike...lol...hopefully I can post some photos today if I get my act in gear.
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Cake

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:02 pm »
Looking forward to those photos Vik...

I don't suppose you can take them on a dark, dismal and damp day so us chaps here in the U.K. don't feel quite so hard done by - even though i do enjoy looking at the glorious Mexican weather etc.!

Cheers!

Gary.

vik

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 08:25:46 pm »
Looking forward to those photos Vik...

I don't suppose you can take them on a dark, dismal and damp day so us chaps here in the U.K. don't feel quite so hard done by - even though i do enjoy looking at the glorious Mexican weather etc.!

Cheers!

Gary.

Gary,

I'm in the middle of a cold Canadian winter so I can definitely provide some snow & ice which should cheer you UK chaps up a bit...of course we get a lot sunshine here so it will be sunny!

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

vik

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 05:20:43 pm »

I keep getting distracted by work and other bike projects so I'm not as far along as I'd like on the Nomad, but I wanted to prove that I'm making progress!

Since last photo:

- dynohub front wheel installed
- Schwalbe Ice Spikers installed
- NRG low profile BMX pedals installed

Up next:
- fenders
- front rack
- Solidlights 1203D installed

I'm considering swapping out the drops for a Titec H-bar.  I probably will, but it's enough work that I may wait a few weeks to make that happen.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

spoon boy

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 05:42:21 pm »
A room full of bikes and quality ones at that... god don't ya just feel the envy..

jags

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 06:52:21 pm »
so tell us vik are you a bike mechanic,or a computer expert,journalist or are you just loaded.
i had a look a your video, emm could add film maker to that list,and you sure have some collection of super quality bikes.good for you.can't wait to see the nomad finished.

vik

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 01:30:47 am »
so tell us vik are you a bike mechanic,or a computer expert,journalist or are you just loaded.
i had a look a your video, emm could add film maker to that list,and you sure have some collection of super quality bikes.good for you.can't wait to see the nomad finished.

hahaha....I'm not sure what I am!  I have a degree in computer engineering, I'm a professional engineer, I was an army captain for 10 years in another life [or so it seems] and I make my money consulting on projects that clean up military training ranges from unexploded ordnance - not nearly as exciting as it sounds.  I've done that job for 13yrs and I am looking to do something completely different - I just haven't figured out what that will be yet.

I do have a fleet of awesome bikes, but when you think about it my whole bike fleet costs less than a good Rolex watch and an expensive suit.  I don't have a wife or kids to spend money on, I don't have any debt and other than bikes, outdoors gear, cameras, computers and traveling I don't spend my money on too much else.  A reasonable income, no debt or dependents and a few rationally priced hobbies/interests make for what seems like a lot of disposable income, but in fact I just focus my expenditures in a few areas so it seems like I've got a lot of cash to throw around.

Looking at it the other way I don't own a sofa or dining room table, I don't own a TV, my truck is 13 years old and was paid for a long time ago, my nicest clothes were bought at an outdoors shop...lol...I spent several weeks in Baja camped for free on a beach, cooking most of our meals - it was a holiday that cost about $25 a day and a lot of that was beer... ;D

I have had a few comical dates where I could tell the lady in question was scanning my apartment in horror at the absence of a place to sit and a TV to watch - not too mention the excessive number of bicycles.  On the upside the ones that don't run away and that call me back are usually super fun to hang out with.

I'm going to turn 40 this year and I fear growing up and settling down don't seem to be in the cards for me....*sigh*...that's alright frees me up for that bike tour in India I've been thinking about.... ;)

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jags

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 10:58:04 am »
in other word's vik you live the life of riely ;Dfair play to you i think your exactly where you want to be,not a lot of people can say that  ,good for you .keep that beer drinking to a minium you'll end up with a beer belly.

vik

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:52 pm »

I installed an Old Man Mountain Cold Springs front rack on my Nomad.  These racks are light, strong and very versatile.  I've been abusing my oldest set for about 8 years now and they have never given me any trouble.

I'm a fan of the large platform on these front racks.

I've decided to return the Schwalbe Ice Spiker tires...we just aren't having enough icy conditions to justify the cost and my Pugsley works well enough even in those conditions that I'll just use it instead. I've got some 1.6" Schwalbe Marathon Supremes I'll use for now and I might get a 2.0" wide set of XRs or Marathon Extremes a bit later.

I haven't managed to mount the fenders on this bike yet, but I need to work on my Thorn Sterling MTB first.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jags

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »
great pic's vik you sure can build a bike well done .

vik

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 01:14:21 am »

So I finally got around to modifying my Nomad's cockpit to use Titec H-bars.  I have two other touring bikes with drops so I didn't feel the need to have a third and the wide H-bars make rough road riding much easier.

Fitting in the Rohloff shifter and an Ortlieb bar bag was a challenge, but I think I have a configuration that will work.  I need to get some MTB brake levers and then I'll be able to finish the swap.

Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

julk

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 09:24:43 am »
Looks fantastic.

I see you still have the ice spikers fitted, I tried Schwalbe Winter studded this winter and found them excellent on icy roads and tracks - but now it is Spring and I am back to Marathon XRs.

The long steerer provided by Thorn has certainly come in handy for stacking the accessory bars.

jags

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:25 am »
vik don't get me wrong, but with all that set up on the bars, does it not make things very heavy up front.
there's a lot going on up there (bars).
but other than that great job your a genious when it comes to building bikes.

vik

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 03:29:31 pm »
vik don't get me wrong, but with all that set up on the bars, does it not make things very heavy up front.
there's a lot going on up there (bars).
but other than that great job your a genious when it comes to building bikes.

I'm not 100% what you mean by all that setup on the bars? Other than a second Thorn accessory bar for the Rohloff shifter this setup is quite similar to the previous one with the drops.  The major difference is that the accessory bar holding the bar bag is longer. It's possible that having the bag out farther could be an issue in terms of handling...I'll have to try it and see.  However, due to the shape of the Titec H-bar this is the only way I can figure out to have access to a bar bag with these bars.

I haven't tried the bike this way as I still need some brake levers to finish the job - hopefully this weekend.

safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

jimmer

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 08:07:36 pm »
Dear Vik,

It's not the array of bikes, Thorn and otherwise, that I am most envious of but the lounge based workshop facility and the devil may care attitude towards cream carpeting.

Last summer I was banished to the garden by my wife and spent a blissful few weeks building a shed to accommodate my tinkerings. I'm not sure if it qualifies for the Member's gallery, but it generates the same warm feelings as my Catalyst. A new thread topic perhaps.

Yours, James