Author Topic: Map holders  (Read 4653 times)

neil_p

Map holders
« on: October 23, 2008, 06:54:13 pm »
Does anyone know of alternative ways to hold maps on the handlebar if not using a barbag? I like the Ortlieb map-case, but don't want such a big barbag (if at all). Is there another way to mount an Ortlieb (or similar) map-case on the handlebars?  I know I could cobble something together but I'd rather have purpose built. Thanks.

julk

Re: Map holders
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 07:55:50 pm »
I have one of these and it works ok.
Zefal Doomap
You need the centre section of your bars near the stem to be clearish to allow the velcro straps to fasten.

rualexander

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
I use a maptrap, as listed above. It is a nice simple solution that works. Two words of warning it works great BUT your map will get wet if it rains and don't try to turn the map over while you are cycling - ask me why!   

neil_p

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:38:54 pm »
I like the look of the Zefal one Julk - is it completely waterproof?  How far apart are the velcro tabs that attach to the handlebar? I'd quite like to use the mini Ortlieb bar bag (which doesn't have map case), whilst also using the Zefal map holder. That way I can use map case and bar bag independently. My concern is the Ortlieb bracker will interfere with the Zefal velcro. Thanks.

freddered

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:09:42 pm »
I use the KickFix Mini Map holder from SJSC for Audax.  I put the map/route intructions in a Ziplock freezer bag if it looks like rain

john28july

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:57:44 pm »
I use the KickFix Mini Map holder from SJSC for Audax.  I put the map/route intructions in a Ziplock freezer bag if it looks like rain

Snap! Same here. ::)

julk

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 10:52:36 pm »
Neil,

It is all welded plastic construction and completely waterproof. The open end which the map is inserted through is then folded 3 times and shuts with velcro.

The 2 handlebar straps on the Zefal are 2.5cm wide and have 13cms between inside edges. The map case will project 1 or 2 cm in front of the handlebars.

I hope this helps.

Julian.

neil_p

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 03:32:17 am »
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll try out the Zefal one - I like the fact it is not much bigger than the map itself, and doesn't leave any extra equipment on the bike when not in use.