Author Topic: Son hub dynamo off road?  (Read 4479 times)

avdave

Son hub dynamo off road?
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:20:56 pm »
Will it be ok. I've just changed my Catalyst from a road going commuter to an off road commuter and general xc bike and I'm a little concerned about whether the hub is up to it. It has the disk brake option but the black knurled rings. I believe the model designed for loaded touring and tandems has  silver rings. The bike has been a revelation off road after 2 years of using it on road. I'm riding most stuff faster than my old full suspension bike and thats with rigid forks. I kind of wish now that I'd bought the Enduro so I could run disk brakes. I've got some Magura Oders on order for it and I may get an Avid mechanical disk for the front or stick to v's so I can swap back to rigid easily and quickly when I feel like it.

SPARSONS

Re: Son hub dynamo off road?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:43:54 am »
Get 2 avid discs, 1 mounted to each fork and you can swap at will, as easy as V'brakes.
No idea about the hubs though!

davefife

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 05:18:12 pm »
Depends on what lamp you fit and what bulb is in the lamp, its not the dynomo thats the limiting factor here as the lamp technology is fast moving with greater luminance from the same wattage now a yearly occurence. I commute with my son equipped RST its a standard halogen bulb.  This commute includes unlit paths and I need additional lighting (led) for the reassurance that seeing where you're going provides.

No idea about your brakes, but touring/road discs must be the next big thing.

jimmer

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 11:06:31 am »
I feel for you, I have the same, slight, regret regarding the Enduro. The Catalyst is very capable and exciting off road but the mud clearance and stropping power of discs is tempting. The Catalyst's versatility go some way to making up for these regrets. I've fitted Magura H33 hydraulic rim brakes (£100 from Chain Reaction Cycles) and am very impressed with the improved performance. I'm aware of the rim wear issues but figure that you have to account for it with any rim brakes so what's the big deal. I've enquired on the Rohloff owners forum as to the cost of converting to a disc brake speed hub and a it's reckoned to cost in the region of £200 plus £100 for the ex-box, then you'll need cables. Getting the frame modded with a buzz brace between the seat and chain stays on the left, the V bosses removed and the frame resprayed make it almost worth starting again. Shame the Enduro is being discontinued... Curtis are the only other frame builders doing the same type of bike but they use sliding dropouts rather than the far more convenient EBB.

As for small matter of the Son hub dyno off road, not a clue mate. Sorry.

Cheers, James

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:03:21 am »
Hi, The Schmidt compresion washer on the power out side stops the conectors turning, it will be fine as long as the skewer is tight.  The stainless version was introduced about 24 months ago by Schmidt as some users were finding when introduced to UK road salt the washer corroded and cracked falling off and allowing the conectors to shear off the wiring.  I have some of the new washers if your worried see http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Schmidt-Serrated-axle-spacer-(power-out-side)-for-Schmidt-Hub-Dynamos-8963.htm

Dave Whittle

SJSC Parts Sales