Author Topic: RST Pics in Normandy  (Read 3685 times)

Fred A-M

RST Pics in Normandy
« on: March 27, 2008, 02:13:17 pm »
Just a few pics from my recently completed tour of Normandy starting in Cherbourg, via Coutances, Mont St Michel, Domfront, Conde sur Noireau, Bayeux and Caen detouring via D-Day beaches, 320 miles over 5.5 days of cycling.   Poor weather including a morning of snow blizzards over high ground but actually quite enjoyable having had the foresight to take appropriate clothing!

Day 1 Somewhere

Normande Suisse (Swiss Normandy)

Bayeux

Omaha Beach Memorial

and for those who like a bit of filth!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:48:23 pm by Fred A-M »

Cake

Re: RST Pics in Normandy
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:51:55 pm »
Really good pics Fred, both of the bike and the surroundings. 

I presume that the RST performed faultlessly due to a lack of comments suggesting otherwise...

Have you any other tours in mind for the near future?

ians

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 06:44:24 pm »
A handsome bike Fred.

PH

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:45:36 pm »
Sounds like a good trip, nice pics.

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:09 pm »
Thanks Cake, Ians, PH!  Comments that make my photographic endeavours worthwhile.

I was really pleasantly surprised by Normandy, making more of an effort to stick to the quietest lanes, and also the Voies Vertes (green routes = french equivalent of Sustrans) and I'd happily go back.  There's a track between St Hilaire de Harcouet and Domfront that I'd particulary recommend. 

RST performed impecably, impressed with Ergon Grips, B17ti saddle and Supernova/Schmidt setup all on their maiden tour.  Only hiccup was a repeat slow puncture on the last day, which persisted and meant that I cycled the last hour to Ouistreham (Caen) in the dark, having made two frustratingly unsuccessful attempts to fix it. 

I'd like to think that I'm going to get to the Tarn/Correze/Cantal region of France for 10-14 days in September, or cycle from the Dordogne to Alicante, but I start a new job on Monday; whilst I get reaonsable holiday allowance, I obviously can't be seen to be too keen in prioritising holidays during the probation period, so I'll see how the land the lies later in the year I guess, along with family priorities of course!     

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 04:30:32 pm »
Like the images.  The memorial at Omaha beach is very effective, and the Bayeux picture is nicely framed

It's also good to see some pics of muddy ravens! Our 'showroom' shots in the members gallery always look too clean!

Ashley

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 03:31:51 pm »
Hi Fred,
Thanks for the post, really great photo's. After reading about your trips to the Picos and Normandy, I have finally taken the plunge and placed an order for a new Sport Tour today. Delivery time is about six weeks at the moment, so hopefully should get the bike at the beginning of June, just in time for summer!

Happy Cycling,

Ashley

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:38:18 pm »
Thanks Ashley, congratulations on taking the plunge and look foward to seeing /hearing of your RST exploits!