Author Topic: Raven Enduro...  (Read 3997 times)

tmcox

Raven Enduro...
« on: February 28, 2008, 10:53:18 am »
Hi, I'm new here and thus I'm not certain this is the right place for this but hey.

Background:
I'm possibly changing jobs soon, as a result of this I will be soon commuting by bike. Depending on whether I move house or not (which might happen) I will either be commuting 5 miles or 10 miles each way. (10 in current house). The new company has the cycle to work scheme so I would be able to buy a new bike as my current bike (Giant NRS) would not be suitable. I really like the look of the raven enduro and have been wanting to get that instead of the nrs for ages. If I use the scheme to get a raven enduro then I can replace my nrs and be able to afford it. If I use the scheme to get a different more road based bike then I can't afford to get a raven as well and thus would still be stuck with my nrs.

Question:
1, Are test rides possible on the raven enduro - I don't really fancy buying a 2k bike without ever riding it.
2, Are test rides possible with standard set up off road and road set up on road (i.e. skinny tyres, fork locked out etc)
3, Does anyone use a raven enduro for a 10 mile road ride and what's it like?
4, Is there anyone relatively local who would let me try it out (South Cumbria)?

geocycle

Re: Raven Enduro...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:18:32 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.  Your best bet would be to contact Thorn and arrange a visit.  I'm sure they'd be helpful.  If that's not possible then take advantage of the 100 day return policy.  I'm also based in the NW and bought a raven tour unseen as I couldn't easily get to Somerset.  I've made a lot of modifications but the return policy really helped minimise the risk.

The enduro looks like a great mtb.  My only thought is that as a commuter you might want a rack and I'm not sure it has this as an option, but others might know better.  The sterling and catalyst might also be suitable?

tmcox

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:29:56 pm »
It says you can fit the micro rack, failing that I could just use a seat post mounted rack.

DavidH

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 08:01:53 pm »
You may find that there is a limit on the value of a bike that can be purchased through the cycle to work scheme, which I think is £1000. I toyed with trying to get a gearless version of a Raven, and to buy the Rohloff hub separately, but this seemed a bit of a hassle, frankly, just in order to get a tax perk.

The £1000 limit may not apply to every employer  - this is because your employer might need a group credit license to operate. Not all employers will do this.

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/cycling/cycletoworkschemeimplementat5732

Hamish

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:03:08 am »
I bought a Catalyst on that scheme in July of last year.  I gave Thorn the voucher and topped it up with cash.  Technically I think the scheme owns the bike and I own the back wheel but in practice it was simple.

I use the bike for commuting and touring.  I average around 80 miles/week on it and it is great for that and I am very pleased with the bike and hub.  I would choose a Catalyst or Sterling over an Enduro for commuting as you can add a rack and you don't need the short stays for road cycling.  I'm not convinced I need them off road either.  In short the Catalyst and Sterling are far more versatile than the Enduro.  I thought Thorn was phasing out the Enduro and the Catalyst too.

tmcox

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 10:37:40 am »
Why would they phase the Enduro out? Has it not been a success or is it being replaced with the Sterling?

The sterling is an idea - get the rigid disc braked spec and then fit my own fork and tyres for mtbing. Regrettably my MTBing is infrequent making a fork change a possibility. It'd be cheaper too...

I wonder if Avid brakes would be available - they have a much easier set up than shimmed brakes due to the special washers.

RE: Rack - I'm not planning on carrying large amounts on the bike - a small rack pack for commuting and a rucksack when mtbing.

RE: Cycle scheme - the new job is with BAE Systems who hopefully should be large enough to have the credit license already.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 10:51:37 am by tmcox »

justin

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »
Hi Tmcox (Tim?)

I bought my Raven Enduro half on the cyclescheme and had no problems. I had the common £1k limit where I work.

I won the frame secondhand on Ebay then bought sale price and secondhand parts, all except the wheelset and a few bits. LBC did a great job with the wheels and Rohlff on cyclescheme, recorded as "Raven Enduro custom build".

My ride to work is 6 miles each way, but 100% off road. - So I'm not the best one to advise you about road use, - but it's a bike eh? - If you chose to lock the fork out and put fast tyres on, It would get you there as well as any other MTB disguised as a road bike.

I'm in Surrey, so I can't easily offer you a test ride - but you'd be more than welcome.

Rgds,

Justin

tmcox

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 09:44:59 am »
Justin:
You bought the bits yourself and had the bike shop assemble it? I didn't think you could do that. In any case apparently BAE only work through Halfords for some reason so I might not be able to do anything anyway. :(
Tom

jp06

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 11:00:55 am »
tmcox

I have a black Raven Enduro frame size MLXL that I need to sell.  The condition is excellent - just some very minor scratches that are virtually invisible.  I'm looking to get about £250.  Let me know if you are interested.

Regards

John

willywombat

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 11:10:32 am »
I haven't read all the posts but before you think too much I'd check whether they have your size in stock as afaik there isn't much left in stock.
yours
pissed
in thailand !

tmcox

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 11:33:30 am »
It seems strange that they are phasing it out.

The city slicker looks like the same frame as either the enduro or the sterling. That would be an option.

JP:
Unless the Rohloff is in that price I think I still wouldn't be able to afford it :(

justin

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 08:26:42 pm »
Hi Tim,

I assembled the bike, leaving the wheel builds for the bike shop. You could say they built it, - if that suits you.

Cyclescheme LBS's I've spoken to all seem to allow contributions for additional top-up to a bike above the £1k limit (if there is one). On that basis, doing what I did is really the same thing. LBS sold £1k worth of stuff and were very happy. As far as I can see it's legit, it's an obvious bike for my route to work. It's vey much an honest ride to work bike in every way for me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 12:42:35 pm by justin »

cy

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 07:43:24 pm »
Hi tmcox, I have a Thorn Raven Enduro and use it both on and off road. It currently has the standard knobbly panaracers on it and I will often do a 20/25 mile ride on tarmac once a week. I generally spend the winter on road and the summer off road.
With some skinny slicks it would be even more road friendly. I have been thinking of fitting something in between a slick and full knobbly but haven't done so yet.

I think the Raven Enduro is a fantastic all rounder and am very pleased with it. Disc brakes and a Rholoff hub with a steel frame....what more do you want?