Author Topic: Rohloff adaptor for drop bars...anyone have this?  (Read 3285 times)

melw1

Rohloff adaptor for drop bars...anyone have this?
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:37:48 pm »
Sorry to keep asking questions, but does anyone have this fitted to one end of their drops, and if so, is this better or worse than having it fitted on a separate bar underneath?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=11233&src=froogle

melw1

Re: Rohloff adaptor for drop bars...anyone have this?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:43:22 pm »
Ooops - sorry - posted twice by mistake. Ignore.

sloe

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:00:39 pm »
Hi Mel, I see from your presence on other fora that you're gradually getting sucked in. Resistance is futile.

If you fancy doing a bit of whittling you CAN fit a Rohloff shifter on the upper bar of touring bars:

http://www.rohloff.de/en/technical/technic_mix/speedhub/index.html

Third item down. But sooner or later someone is going to start manufacturing such a thing, taint rocket science.

melw1

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:58 am »
Thanks Sloe, where there's a will there's a way [;)]

freddered

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 10:11:55 am »
I think it's the equivalent of using de-railleur Bar-end shifters (the Hub-Bub bar end Rohloff Shifter) or traditional Down-tube shifter (Accessory Bar Rohloff shifter).

For derailleur, the bar-end shifters make more sense because they are in-line with your hand on the drops.  That is, you don't need to reposition your hand so much to chamge gear, just nudge up/down.  If you mount the Rohloff there you need to completlry re-orient your hand in order to twist the shifter.

Most importantly ask yourself how often you ride with your hands on the drops, for me it's mainly down steep hills (and then not always).

If you ride on the hoods, Derailleur STI is the best option and I wish Rohloff had this option....but they don't.  The next best thing is the accessory bar because your hand naturally falls there.  It's similar to the old downtube shifters but a bit nearer and only one to worry about.

If you ride on the bar tops, relaxed touring style, then it's simply the best option full-stop.  The shifter is 6 inches from your hand.

All gear lever-postions/types are a compromise.  STI is the best for making rapid progress in a heads-down position but the accessory bar is, in my opinion, a pretty good compromise for a touring bike IF you ride on the hoods or bar-tops a lot.

Just try it on your current bike, see which would be easier to reach, accessory bar or bar-ends.  I personally wouldn't choose bar-end position now.

Good luck in your choice and, like I say, make sure SJSC leave enough room on stem for accessory bar or you'll scuff your knuckles.

melw1

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 04:31:07 pm »
Thanks Freddered for your comments and in particular the close-up of your setting - can see that it's not far to reach. I have managed to source another option - not drops but would offer good hand positions and it comes apart so can fit the gear changer...."Jac" on another forum has this set up and advised me:

http://www.prepernau.de/CartArticle.asp?frmIDOffer=2113216755&frmOpgID=290

Now, if they did drops that came apart at the top, that would be good [:)]

ians

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 04:51:56 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by melw1

Now, if they did drops that came apart at the top, that would be good [:)]

they do (don't they?).

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-SPECIAL-Rohloff-Drop-Handlebars--for-22.2mm-diameter-gear-controls-11348.htm

melw1

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 05:14:50 pm »
Oh yes!!! However, [:0] at the price!!!!

freddered

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:37 pm »
If your first choice is drops then make sure SJSC know that you may change to drops at a later date.  It affects the choice of frame size.

jonathan

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 02:16:33 am »
freddered,

What else are we looking at in your photo? What's the black boxy thing below the stem extender thingy?

My guess is a battery pack? Does that explain the plug by the head tube?

I can see a quick release like a light mount and a clamping knob but its purpose has got me buggered.

In the parlance of a failed Australian politician "please explain"

john28july

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 09:25:38 am »
quote:
Originally posted by jonathan

freddered,

What else are we looking at in your photo? What's the black boxy thing below the stem extender thingy?

My guess is a battery pack? Does that explain the plug by the head tube?

I can see a quick release like a light mount and a clamping knob but its purpose has got me buggered.

In the parlance of a failed Australian politician "please explain"

Looks to me to be one of those Solid light things!
John.

freddered

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 03:56:09 pm »

FYI, the Big Cateye on the right doesn't get used now becasue it has almost no effect compared to the Dynamo-powered Solidlight

PS.  This ugly setup is used to get my lights below my BarBag
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 03:57:37 pm by freddered »

jonathan

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 03:17:54 am »
Now I see.