Author Topic: Thorn Literature  (Read 4115 times)

getafunkin

Thorn Literature
« on: November 13, 2007, 11:40:02 pm »
Is it just me or is the literature of Thorn bicycles a bit of a hard sell and totaly bafeling? I'm in the market for a new tourer and have looked at a fair few, requesting brochures from a fair few manufaturers.

I have just spent the best part of 2 hours reading the Club Tourer, Audax 853 and the MK3 Audax brochures on line.  I'm left feeling like I have had a pushy, smart suited time share rep battering at me for the last 2 hours, i'm more confused than when I started!

The specification options seem bewildering, the sizing seems bazare verging on insanely overcomplicated. The latest brochure for the MK3 is possibly the wort candidate for this with questions all over it like "is this the best Audax bike ever made?" and "is there any other manufactuer who provides such fittings on a production frame?" well surely they should know, why are they asking me?!

Im not digging at the actual bikes as I have heard great things about Thorns and have not yet rulled them out, I want somthing for fast touring with Ultegra ish kit and a decent set of wheels and finishing kit.  I just don't see why I should have to make so many decisions, surely Thorn should be able to decide what I should have, like Dawes, Cannondale, Specialized seem to be able to?

The Raucous AUK

Re: Thorn Literature
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 07:47:19 am »
I've been a bit critical over Thorn's 'zig-zag' sizing and short head tubes but I can really recommend the Audax Mk.3 frameset.

Looking at your requirements, if you want to be loaded front and back then the Club Tour should be OK but if you want to do "fast touring" then go for the Audax Mk.3 (although as it has front rack mounts you could expand into fully loaded).

I did a three-day solo tour on my Cyclosportif last summer (2006) using a large Carradice saddle bag and will probably do something similar on my Audax Mk.3 this summer - it's more suitable as the clearances let you run 28c tyres with mudguards (I couldn't get 24c tyres with mudguards on the Cyclosportif).

I know what you mean about the literature too!

ahconway

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 12:40:33 pm »
I really like the Thorn approach in its literature. It's clear that it's written by the guys who design, build, and ride the bikes - not a junior copywriter at a marketing agency.

If you want to see another example of cycle company that goes a bit overboard on its communications, go to Rivendell at www.rivbike.com, where the products are part and parcel of the founder's philosophy.

Both companies primarily sell direct, so it makes sense that they should put as much info out there as possible.

And in the US, where there's really no decent cycling magazine, I welcome all the thoughtful, inspiring writing about bikes I can get my hands on, even if it's got an agenda.

Andrew C.
www.velofellow.com

ians

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 03:45:55 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by getafunkin

I just don't see why I should have to make so many decisions

Am I missing something here?  

You're complaining because Thorn give you the opportunity to have an almost unique bike - the nearest thing to a custom made.  All the other makes you mention (fine bikes they may be) come off the shelf.  So you don't get the opportunity to ask as many questions as Thorn make you address.

jonathan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:59:50 am »
quote:
'm left feeling like I have had a pushy, smart suited time share rep battering at me for the last 2 hours, i'm more confused than when I started!

I agree with you. I find the Thorn brochures pretty hard sell and up themselves. Mind you they do make great bikes so perhaps its justified.

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:32 am »
Thorn's recent magazine ads are total overkill from a marketing perspective: I saw a recent ad in the CTC mag about a new frame (I think).  From what I recall, plenty of extremely dense text, up its own @rse, a major deterrent to any reader.  To cap it all, there was a photo at the top of Andy Blance trying to look seductively into the camera lens: not the best tactic methinks!  As good a designer as he is, Thorn are totally deluded if they think he is model material.

Ref Brochures, I think they would basically do far better to concentrate on getting basic information over first, especially comparative data between their own bikes as per Stutho's chart and they should definitely make weight capacity much much clearer.  Then bombard the customer with the indepth technical possibilities and combinations.

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:53:20 pm »
I've just rechecked the ad, it's the juxtaposition of the photo next to the headline "Get your Kit off" that's the killer.  Apologies Andy, but that's just taking the personalised approach to bike-frame selling just a little too far, no matter how excellent the product may be! :-)

john28july

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:30 am »
quote:
Originally posted by getafunkin

Is it just me or is the literature of Thorn bicycles a bit of a hard sell and totaly bafeling? I'm in the market for a new tourer and have looked at a fair few, requesting brochures from a fair few manufaturers.

I have just spent the best part of 2 hours reading the Club Tourer, Audax 853 and the MK3 Audax brochures on line.  I'm left feeling like I have had a pushy, smart suited time share rep battering at me for the last 2 hours, i'm more confused than when I started!

The specification options seem bewildering, the sizing seems bazare verging on insanely overcomplicated. The latest brochure for the MK3 is possibly the wort candidate for this with questions all over it like "is this the best Audax bike ever made?" and "is there any other manufactuer who provides such fittings on a production frame?" well surely they should know, why are they asking me?!

Im not digging at the actual bikes as I have heard great things about Thorns and have not yet rulled them out, I want somthing for fast touring with Ultegra ish kit and a decent set of wheels and finishing kit.  I just don't see why I should have to make so many decisions, surely Thorn should be able to decide what I should have, like Dawes, Cannondale, Specialized seem to be able to?

Hello,
It must be said that on this one occasion the Brochure is a little too much. Maybe this has something to do with the fact---that----the usual---brochure compiler---has left the company.
Prior to this I was more than satisfied with the Advertising. At least Thorn promote with enthusiasm. After all most on this Forum either own or are going to own-----a THORN!
I for many Years ignored the blurb. I lost many Years of pleasure doing so. Why all the fuss about weight? I rode lightweight Colnagos for Years. I rode a Thorn Audax 853-it goes up hills! Better a bike that does a real job, than a toy to pose on. In my opinion anyhow.
Have a great ride.

Fred AM please note this is a serious message and is in no way intended to be comical.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july
PS A couple of new pictures are now showing.

Al Downie

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:38:38 pm »
I also think they do themselves a disservice by trying to make every bike in their range be 'the perfect solution' in its own unique niche. It seems to me that by doing so, they create the impression that every bike in their range is in fact a poor choice for any application outside of that niche.

Look on the web and you'll find thousands of pictures of bog-standard mountain bikes on adventure tours, all fully laden with huge piles of luggage. Look at the cover of the 'Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook', and you'll see a Raven Catalyst LOADED on the back with full camping gear. Read the Thorn brochures however, and they'll tell you this is completely inappropriate and a recipe for disaster.

Maybe their range is just a bit too extensive?

JNDavis

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 04:42:45 pm »
At least we can make these criticisms on the Thorn web site.

The Mk3 brochure includes the weight, which suggests Thorn take criticisms on board.  Overall though, it isn't one of their best brochures, at least from the point of view of appearance, and the claim about all titanium frames breaking seems a little extreme.  On the plus side, it did mention a virtue of the Panaracer Pasella.  I didn't realise wide Pasellas had any till I read the Mk3 brochure.

rhebarker

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 04:51:09 pm »
Well my Cyclosportif is a fantastic ride and I can't imagine a better Audax bike.  Having said that, they're quite pricy and I am duly impressed by the spec and price of the new Audax Mk3 built up with Tiagra kit- I'd bite their arm off before supply and demand has its effect and they put the price up!

Audax hopeful

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 11:47:07 am »
I like the idea of the Mk3 tiagra bike offered 'as is' to reduce cost but it's a pity the Audax Mk3 info dosen't include the 'A La Carte' options and prices as for the other Thorn bikes. The info does rather shout it's own praises but then it's advertising literature designed to sell the product!! There's a lot of info in there if read it carefully and by and large I think I like the approach.