Author Topic: Raven Tour or Raven Sports Tour  (Read 2766 times)

rjsymes

Raven Tour or Raven Sports Tour
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:08:11 pm »
I have just ordered a Raven Tour but I am now trying to decide whether to change to a sports tour.  I currently use an Evans 531 Tourer & a Cannondale Racing bike converted to light touring.  I am 64 years young but am starting to suffer from a stiff neck & shoulder after about 35 miles, hence the change to strait bars.  I will use the Raven for day rides of 35 to 50 miles & credit card touring(2 weeks duration using hotels 7 carrying luggage).  Yours comments would be appreciated.

Fred A-M

Re: Raven Tour or Raven Sports Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 06:19:58 pm »
Hi

If credit card touring is your main thing and you've no need to carry more than 17Kg (12Kg on the rear), and money is no object, I'd go for the RST.  If you're possibly wanting flexibility ref load carrying (eg camping or carrying your weekly shopping), then the Raven Tour is a safer bet.  I understand that the RST has a more responsive frame/set-up than the Raven Tour but in fact is only about 1kg lighter.  I use my RST for commuting & summer-time credit card touring and it's perfectly suited to the job.

Fred
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 06:22:12 pm by Fred A-M »

rjsymes

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:56:19 pm »
I have now been told that because of my size 11 shoes my heels are likely to rub against panniers because of shorter stays on a sports tour.  Do you think this would be a problem?

melw1

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 05:30:05 pm »

PH

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 06:40:16 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by rjsymes

I have now been told that because of my size 11 shoes my heels are likely to rub against panniers because of shorter stays on a sports tour.  Do you think this would be a problem?

You could easily carry the max weight in a saddlebag and bar bag, save the weight of a rack. I hostel tour like this and that's with one of the smaller Carradice saddlebags.
I'm no weight weenie, but it makes no sense to me to have a bike heavier than needed.

Fred A-M

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:52:29 pm »
I have size 9 shoes and haven't found it an issue though it might depend on how far back you're able to set the panniers back on the rack and the size of the panniers of course.  However, with a limit of 12kg on the back, you're unlikely to need more than average size panniers: think mine are 50L capacity.

rjsymes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 05:55:07 pm »
Thanks for all your comments I have now decided to change my order to a sports tour.

Fred A-M

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 07:04:40 pm »
Welcome to the RST owner's club, let us know how you get on!