Author Topic: Spare axle ring when using Ex Box  (Read 2309 times)

bike_the_planet

Spare axle ring when using Ex Box
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:24:09 am »
I believe that there is a spare axle ring plus cable available in the event that the internal gear cable snaps on an internal gear mech Rohloff. I believe that this slightly simplifies internal cable replacement in the event of failure.

Can any Raven Nomad owners tell me if an internal cable is used with the Rohloff Ex Box version? Or does the Ex box provide some other mechanical linkage to the gearbox?

Any info gratefully received.

Tony

julk

Re: Spare axle ring when using Ex Box
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:53:01 am »
b_t_p,

The two gear cables run continuously from the handlebar grip changer right into the ex box (cable box) where the inners wrap round and terminate in the cable pulley. The cable pulley has a 8mm socket in the centre to grip the 8mm hexagonal peg which protrudes from the external transfer box. Setting everything to gear 14 and fastening the ex box onto the external transfer box hides all the moving parts from dirt etc. and sets it up for gear changing via the handlebar grip changer.

The only spare part I carry on camping trips is a full length gear cable inner. I have heard of one ex box being bent, presumably by a collision with a rock or tree, but I don't carry one as a spare.

I hope this helps.
julk

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 11:00:48 am »
Hi B_T_P,

I am not a Nomad owner and I don’t own an EX Rohloff.  However I think I do know the answers you seek.  On the EX box the gear cable extends all the way from the gear shifter to the pulley in the EX housing. Therefore there is no separate internal cable.  The pulley in the EX housing is then connected to the axle ring by geared linkage.

In the event of failure of the EX box pulley, either gear cable or gear shifter other gears can still be selected by using an 8mm spanner on the hexagonal peg of the EX transfer box (the geared linkage).  

Hope this helps

Stuart

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:30 am »
You beat me to it!!!

bike_the_planet

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:04 am »
Thanks julk and stutho - you are both correct.

Maybe I should have looked at the workshop manual first.

Stutho - I seem to remember that you were planning to buy a Raven Nomad, but maybe I'm mistaking you with another poster.

Thanks again.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:06:12 am »
Hi B_T_P,

Yes I was considering the Raven Nomad.  In the end I went for a Raven Tour.  The bike is my wife’s main ride and my backup bike - we take the same frame size.  I decided in the end that we were unlikely to use the S&S couplers, which add a lot to the price of the bike.  If money was no object then...         [Day dream mode on]

Stutho