Author Topic: CSS rim for 26 inch heavyweight tourer - any still available?  (Read 3207 times)

RobD

Does anyone know of a bike shop that might still have some of the strong 26 inch CSS (carbide super sonic) rims left in stock (ie suitable for a heavy tourer like a Mk1 or 2 Thorn Nomad) ?
SJS don't have them anymore (they only have the lighter Grizzly type that they themselves state is unsuitable for a heavy tourer) and I think Ryde stopped making the heavier gauge ones years ago.
Nothing comes up on the Interweb that seems to fit the bill, hence the question.
Thanks

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: CSS rim for 26 inch heavyweight tourer - any still available?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2024, 01:11:02 am »
Rob,

There's a couple sites who claim to either have the Rigida/Ryde Andra 30CSS rims in 26in/32 hole, though I don't know if they have Rohloff-specific drilling.

One source accepting inquiries is ROTOR in Lipzig, Germany, but the listed price is dear at 129,00€ each including local VAT...
https://www.rotorbikes.com/produkt/ryde-andra-30-css-26-36-loch/

The other source is the always handy BikeStation in Finland, though their site currently has problems loading. You may wish to contact them by phone or mail at...
Bike Station Finland
Asemantie 5, 31640 Humppila, Finland
+358 44 3244010
I don't have an email for them and fear they may no longer be in business....
=====
Standard Ryde Andra 30s are still available from a number sources and can provide satisfactory braking in most conditions and last a long time when used with Kool-Stop Salmon brake pads. I've been very pleased with this combo on three of my bikes.

Best, Dan.

RobD

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2024, 07:35:17 pm »
Thanks Dan. I think I'll end up going for an SJS wheel build using the standard Ryde Andra 30. Useful to know you recommend the salmon kool-stop pads with those. Thanks

in4

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2024, 09:03:14 pm »
Thanks Dan. I think I'll end up going for an SJS wheel build using the standard Ryde Andra 30. Useful to know you recommend the salmon kool-stop pads with those. Thanks

For a css rim you'll need these pads:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/swissstop-blue-brake-pads-for-deore-lx-xt-xtr-brakes-inc-pins-for-ceramic-carbide-css-rims/

Thinking outloud I was wonderfing if at some point I might have to fit a rear disc to my MK2 Nomad CSS rear rim. Logic would suggest that if CSS rims become unavailable then CSS brake blocks will too, perhaps with a bit of a time lag allowing for stocks to reduce.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 09:14:59 pm by in4 »

RobD

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2024, 09:10:40 pm »
Thanks yes - have already got those swissstop blue ones for my current front CSS rim.

I want a Son dyno hub front wheel build now - and was hoping to have another CSS rim for that build - but it looks like it is now more practical to get standard braking surface on a new rim (and hence standard brake pads)

in4

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2024, 09:19:35 pm »
Thanks yes - have already got those swissstop blue ones for my current front CSS rim.

I want a Son dyno hub front wheel build now - and was hoping to have another CSS rim for that build - but it looks like it is now more practical to get standard braking surface on a new rim (and hence standard brake pads)

I use one with a sinewave USB Revolution. Works well for me. Particularly like being able to charge my Garmin GPS direct from it.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/dynamos/sinewave-cycles-revolution-usb-dynamo-powered-charging-device/

UKTony

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2024, 11:12:36 pm »
I use these brake pads on the standard front wheels on my Mk2 Nomad and Mk2 Mercury and the rim wear is minimal.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-blocks/swissstop-rx-plus-black-cartridge-brake-inserts/

On the Nomad I converted to disc at the back after the rim needed replacing but since discovering these SwissStop pads I’ve been contemplating going back to the V brake for ease of maintenance. Not tried the KoolStop Salmon ones that Dan recommends but might have a go sometime.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2024, 09:25:56 am »
I use the Koolstop Salmon pads on a couple different bikes with normal rims but not on my CSS rims on my Nomad Mk II.

Very happy with the Salmon pads.