Author Topic: Groin pain  (Read 3614 times)

Matt2matt2002

Groin pain
« on: July 19, 2024, 08:16:08 pm »
Very strange but painful...
Fortunately I can still cycle and walk but I don't think cycling caused it.

Had the pain for 6+ weeks. Before my Orkney tour/trip. Comes and goes. Sometimes comes on when sitting doing nothing!
Not testicle related. Perhaps a slight swelling in the groin but Mrs. Matt couldn't notice anything!
Not always tender to push/touch.

Planning a doctor visit early next week.

Pain is a burning / stabbing kind of thing. Ibuprofen takes the pain away but that's not the answer.

I went out for a short 11 mile ride this afternoon - no pain on the bike but short walks caused the pain to return. Today has been the worse. Almost makes me stop whatever I'm doing; not lifting and as I said - it can come on out of ther blue while sitting.

Any thoughts folks?
The location is lower groin area to left of willie. Nothing untoward anywhere else.

I've gone through Mr. Googles opinions.

I thought I'd ask here since I guess these things could be cycling related.

Cheers

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Groin pain
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 11:26:00 pm »
Given I'm a doctor of letters rather than medicine, I'll give this my best shot as a layperson...

Unless you have contracted epididymitis, a lot of testicular pain (generally referred to as orchialgia) is of unknown origin or may be referred pain from a groin injury or hernia. Some folks I know found their groin pain was refractory sciatic nerve pain.

You're past the prime age for testicular cancer.

Glad you have scheduled an appointment with your primary care physician or a urologist at your earliest convenience so they can lend their professional opinion to the evidence. 'Most any problem is resolved more quickly and easily if caught in the early stages, i.e. when first noticed, so wise to not let a lot of time go by before addressing it.

Wishing you well soonest and with empathy and sympathy!

Best, Dan.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 02:49:04 am by Danneaux »

in4

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2024, 06:05:42 am »
Perhaps that saddle of yours has not helped, Matt? Maybe one with a cut-out is a consideration?
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2024, 12:45:38 pm »
Perhaps that saddle of yours has not helped, Matt? Maybe one with a cut-out is a consideration?
Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gosh - that's a good point. I had forgotten the 3 days I had riding on the rails when my saddle nose broke. Maybe It was that....
Humm... food for thought. Anyway - damage is done.

And thanks Dan. Pretty sure balls are all good. Certainly no pain there. Water-works fine as well.
It's just to the side of inner groin area.

Back from a short 10 mile ride now. No pain at all while on the Raven.
But off..... ouch, it's back. comes and goes now. Even sitting down - I have the sharp pain.

Thanks again folks.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2024, 05:11:38 pm »
No change folks.
Just posted this on another site::

Any advice/experience/solution please.
Male, 71, regular cyclist, 40 miles no problems ( until recently!), Thorn Raven, Rohloff hub. Up-right tourer; enjoy the views rather than speed.

Inner thigh pain. Not nuts or willy. All in good order. Coughing doesn't bring on the pain.
Pain comes and goes. Like a red hot needle when it's there. No swelling although when the pain is there, if I press slightly it helps.

I can swing my leg forward and backwards, no probs. But side to side - that's often when the pain starts

Started mid June when I was on Orkney for a week. The tension pin/bolt snapped on my Brooks. Local shop bodged it together but I was riding on the rails for a few days. I think that caused it. Self inflicted.

3 weeks ago doctor gave me ibuprofen and omeprazole. Said it should clear up - but it hasn't; and some days it's as worse as its ever been.
Drugs take the pain away - to a degree - but it's no solution.
Due to see doctor tomorrow since it's stopping me cycling and walking any distance.
I've put on 4lbs....

Thoughts much appreciated.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2024, 11:36:01 pm »
Keeping in mind I'm not a doctor or medical professional, I'd guess it might be a stubborn pull or strain or tear of the adductor muscles that pull your thighs together. If so it might have been precipitated by your saddle's declining shape over time before the tension bolt parted ways -- but that is only a guess.

I have heard of similar due to extended riding of detensioned leather saddles, particularly those that have gotten wet or otherwise assumed a more exaggerated hammock shape and/or flare.

Get thee to a doc as planned!

Sympathies are surely with you!

Best, Dan.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 11:46:45 pm by Danneaux »

in4

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 04:16:20 am »
Sorry you’re not at peak performance atm Matt. Just a thought: Have you tried swimming? Might help as it’s non-load bearing exercise. No Léon Marchand stuff though.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2024, 03:09:08 pm »
Many thanks folks.

Back from doctor just now.

A repeat prescription of ibuprofen and a referral to the physiotherapist.
Told it could be another month or so before improving.
Recent 2 days have been really bad so decided on much more rest and feet up time.
I'll certainly never ride on a broken Brooks again.

Dan; perhaps the saddle had started to sag but the snapped bolt sure changed the set up.

Looks like my trip to Thailand is now on hold. I guess it will still be there next year.......

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2024, 08:43:27 am »
Due to see doctor tomorrow since it's stopping me cycling and walking any distance.
I've put on 4lbs....
You need to train brain and stomach to change eating mode if you aren't burning off the calories. for example, more carrots and fewer carbohydrates.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2024, 04:47:11 pm »
Looks like my trip to Thailand is now on hold. I guess it will still be there next year.......
It will! So sorry to hear this, Matt. I think we have all been disappointed by having to defer or reschedule trips from time to time and it can surely be a bitter disappointment. The downtime can be used for planning and honing your return to fitness and health to make the later tour even better! I'm a big believer in timing and I've lost count of the occasions when a delay meant I avoided some unforeseen but very real inconvenience or danger, mostly of the weather/natural disaster kind that would have likely ended a tour under less favorable circumstances. Just imagine if this injury had hit midway in your Thai tour....

Strength, courage, and speedy recovery, Dan.