Author Topic: Narrow sprocket carrier, too tight  (Read 1018 times)

E-wan

Narrow sprocket carrier, too tight
« on: July 15, 2024, 07:59:13 pm »
Hi

I'm swapping from a threaded sprocket to a narrow sprocket carrier.

I fitted a 21 tooth sprocket, and it firmly tightened the sprocket carrier with a large chainwhip

After this, it seems very stiff, and didn't really turn properly to freewheel.

I've backed off the sprocket carrier with the chainwhip and re-tightened it finger tight, and it seems to freewheele fine.
Haven't been for a cycle yet as I'm changing my size of front chain ring as well which I haven't got round to yet.

Re-checking the instructions for the sprocket carrier it suggests that if it feels too tight to get a plastic mallet and whack either side of the axle.

INSTRUCTIONS QUOTE
"Check the smooth/light motion of the sprocket by rotating this backwards. If you notice excessive resistence, then the free-floating (sprocket side) bearing may rest under tension and will need to be loosened. Do this by thumping each axle stub with a plastic mallet (sprocket side once, then gear-mech side once). Sprocket must now rotate  backwards smoothly with little resistance."

I very rarely hit anything with a hammer when fixing my bikes, and I've never done so to my Rholoff before.
A bit dubious about trying the plastic mallet, but presumably if it's okay if the instructions say so.

Has anyone else had to do this one fitting a sprocket carrier and if so, did it make a difference?

Thanks

Ewan

mickeg

Re: Narrow sprocket carrier, too tight
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2024, 03:16:09 pm »
When I bought my Rohloff hub a decade ago, I recall that there were some suggestions for various problems to give a good whack to the drive size of the hub with a rubber mallet.

I have done that once, not with a rubber mallet, but with holding my shoe with my hand and using the rubber sole as the hammer.

I suggest you follow their instructions, try a tennis shoe or deck shoe as a hammer first, that is soft enough that it would be difficult to damage anything.

I would not suggest anything harder than the rubber sole on a shoe or rubber mallet.