Author Topic: Clik valve…me neither!  (Read 1936 times)

in4

Andre Jute

Re: Clik valve…me neither!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2024, 03:00:42 pm »

PH

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2024, 05:23:28 pm »
No provision for caps to lose, how will some people cope!
It seems to have been designed with ease of use for tubeless in mind, both adding sealant and increased airflow to stop it clogging.  That may also be an advantage to those who wish to use sealant in a tube, I may choose to do that at some point, but until then I don't think it offers me anything.  I have in the past bent pins an Presta valves, but only on high pressure tyres using a direct fit mini pump. Since moving on to wider tyres and the mini track style pump, it's ceased to be an issue.
Also, I can't see an easy way to release air?  That isn't an issue on any of my current bikes, though on some previous ones I've had to deflate to remove the wheel.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2024, 01:17:28 pm »
I use innertubes, not tubeless.  And have no interest in sealant, although I have a couple unused inner tubes (Slime brand) with sealant that were sold at a clearance price, just in case I go to an area with lots of thorns (the sharp pointed vegetation, not the bikes).

But it was my understanding that most sealant users do not use innertubes, so why are they making a new valve for inner tubes for the sealant crowd, not valves for tubeless users?

What am I missing here?

PH

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2024, 03:11:07 pm »
why are they making a new valve for inner tubes for the sealant crowd, not valves for tubeless users?
They're making both (Link below), I suspect it started out as a tubeless development and it probably wasn't a huge step for Schwalbe to offer tubes as well.
I've never used modern sealant, tubed or tubeless,  I think it's different to the older style slime stuff.  I think Thorn are recommending sealant in tubes for Mercury builds with faster tyres.  Originally Andy B was evangelical about tubeless but for some reason that shifted to sealant in tubes. 

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/Schwalbe-Clik-Valve-Tubeless-Valve-3530
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 03:14:20 pm by PH »

PH

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2024, 03:21:30 pm »
No provision for caps to lose, how will some people cope!
I was wrong*!  Apparently there is a dust cap that pops on, black.

* I know, I'm as surprised as you are.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2024, 04:57:22 pm »
I really hope that Schwalbe does not drop presta in favor of their new proprietary valves.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2024, 09:21:12 pm »
'Most comprehensive take on the Clik valve I've seen is here...
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/schwalbe-introduces-new-clik-valve.html

Best, Dan.