Author Topic: My nose broke!  (Read 7314 times)

Matt2matt2002

My nose broke!
« on: June 21, 2024, 08:46:59 pm »
Dismounted this afternoon and the nose on my Brooks  Flyer felt wobbly.
The shackle had shearer and the bolt was missing.
I caught half the sheared shackle. But it's beyond repair.
Replacement parts shown in attached pics.
Saddle had a good innings. Not sure how old it is but done me proud.

I'm away from home on tour on Orkney. Here for 3 more days
LBS might be open tomorrow

When I ride now, the nose stays down and bum feels fine.
Not sure if I should risk a longer ride.

Thoughts folks...
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: My nose broke!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 12:29:04 am »
Rotten luck but glad you didn't fall or get hurt, Matt; lucky it was noticed at a dismount.

You'll remember I have replaced some fractured saddle rails and re-riveted the cover to the rear cantle plate and nose insert.

Your repair is much easier and more straightforward and can be accomplished in moments. I fit the shackle and then run the tension pin through the shackle's holes, running the pin nut fully home to achieve as much slack as possible, then use the thin prybar much as one would a shoehorn (which would probably work as well, provided it is tempered steel) to slide the end of the tension pin onto the hole in the shackle. Tension to preference but don't overdo it. Older saddles can sometimes run a bit dry and it is easy to create a tension fracture/tear in the leather if one is overenthusiastic.

As for continuing your ride on a known-broken Brooks...

It is of course up to you and your risk valence. The tension pin and shackle do, after all, tension the saddle's leather cover. I'd be concerned it could get swaybacked to an untoward degree if ridden untensioned.

A cable tie or such won't help in this case because you need to push the nose away rather than drawing it nearer. It is not terribly difficult to form and machine substitute parts that would get you by, but I don't see much chance of that on Orkney. Don't know how close you are to Kirkwall, but it seems there are a number of shops and services devoted to repairs there who might be able to help in a pinch. Alternatively, there appears to be a cycle hire shop -- Cycle Orkney, also in Kirkwall -- that has bikes and accessories for sale and possibly does repairs. I'd be inclined to see if they might have a cheap "get you by" saddle so you can save your beloved Brooks for a proper repair at your leisure.

Wishing you well, Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 06:56:12 am »
Thanks Dan.
Shackle has broken in 2. I only have one small part of it.
Pin was lost when break occurred.

I'll visit the one and only bike shop at 0900 or 0930 when he opens..

I do have another Brooks at home and may be able to use some of its parts.

Weather is good here and riding generally flat so I may pootle about on it for the rest of my time here.

Thanks again

Matt

chipbury

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2024, 01:12:54 pm »
When the end of the bolt sheared off on my saddle as a temporary fix I used a 5/16" BSF nut.

Maybe the LBS has a suitable threaded bolt they could use as a get you home fix?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2024, 04:53:14 pm »
Thanks folks LBS knew their way around a Brooks but could only bodge the fix. We discussed what was required and they pointed out that the shackle I had kept, was not broken. The bolt is lost so that is the part I'll need to buy.
I can ride with the present set up but due to there being no tension, I'm sitting on the rails.
The leather is holding up but I'm keeping to short journeys and weight on the pedals as much as possible.
I have 2 more days here and visiting the nearby islands. Shapinsay today.
Sanday tomorrow. Westray yesterday.

Good cycling here. Roads excellent and just a few long rolling hills. I think I'll miss out Rousay where there are a few hills to tackle.

Enjoyed good weather and met some interesting cyclists. Transylvanian, Russian, Italian and English.

Thanks again folks. Fantastic to receive so much knowledgeable help and support from our community.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2024, 06:59:32 pm »
The saddle as fixed today.
No charge but I put something in the tea kitty.
A cap protects the end of the bolt. Underneath is a zip plastic piece. Very temporary but should get me home.

Perhaps my other Brooks saddle will give up a piece.

Matt

Andyb1

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2024, 09:01:25 pm »
I think I would run a hacksaw through the bolt along the front edge of the nut.   It might stop a nasty accident!
Glad the LBS sorted it out for you - worth saying who they are?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2024, 09:46:44 pm »
Ha ha. Yes, Mr. Hacksaw will be in action as soon as home.
Only one bike shop of note in Kirkwall. Others hirer out electric bikes and then there is Halfords.

The one that helped me today:
Father and son I believe but could be wrong.
01856 850255
Cycle Orkney
Tankerness Ln, Kirkwall KW15 1AQ

They also dabble in Warhammer but I didn't ask about that service!

RonS

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 09:57:50 pm »
Glad that you can finish your trip, but don't let the health and safety people see that patch job! 
Fitting a new tension pin is an art that I had have not mastered. When I did mine I think I used four small screwdrivers and the help of a friend to finesse it on.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2024, 09:52:15 am »
Thanks RonS
I ordered the pin last night from Brooks.
I may well contact you  for further advice on fitting it.

Cheers from Sanday today.
I'm island hopping from Kirkwall and don't ride too far when I land.
Certainly feeling those rails beneath the leather!

Cheers

Matt

PH

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2024, 02:18:24 pm »
Certainly feeling those rails beneath the leather!
Cheers

Matt
Bad luck with the saddle, hope it hasn't detracted from the trip too much.  my only visit turned int a tour with bike rather than the intended bike tour, due to the weather.  Still enjoyed it, though I'd like to go back and do the bits missed.
When the nose bolt on my saddle broke, half way round a long day ride, I stuffed my spare gloves between leather and rails, made it bearable for the ride home.  Wouldn't have to be gloves, that's all I had apart from rain jacket and didn't want to risk damaging that.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 02:21:23 pm by PH »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2024, 03:51:42 pm »
Good advice Ph. My day trips around the small islands aren't more than 25 miles so it's barrable. Just. I had thought of stuffing something soft between the leather and rails but I think I'll get by.

I think I started the tour thread by saying that the Raven was in tip top condition?
How could I have checked for this?

What's that saying? For want of a nail a shoe was lost. For want to a shoe......

Off home tomorrow so nothing really lost. Maybe I'd have cycled further but my aim was to hit the islands and I've done that.

Cheers

Matt

PH

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2024, 12:07:45 pm »
I think I started the tour thread by saying that the Raven was in tip top condition?
How could I have checked for this?
I think it's just bad luck.  Mine broke on a three year old saddle and I spent the next ten years carrying around a spare bolt for when it happened again, of course it never did...
What can you do?  I think you've already done it - That is accepting such things happen and not letting them spoil your trip.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2024, 04:40:10 pm »
I just called Brooks to confirm my order for the new part. No-one there just a recorded message saying the company were on their annual holiday for 2 weeks. No dates given so it could be 2 weeks from today or a week from today.
Web site doesn't mention holidays or being shut.

Poor service?

Last day here on Orkney and managed 30 miles on the 'rails'.
Reminded me of an interview I saw a few years ago with Peter Fonda. He mentioned that the choppers they rode had no rear suspension. I now know how he felt!

in4

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2024, 06:44:18 pm »
I like my B17 and also liked my Conquest ( despite snapping two seat post bolts ) but it does make one wonder if there are modern, better alternatives around. I used a Sella SMP Trek for my SW crossing of Spain and Portugal last year. Apart from being a bit sweaty it was pretty comfortable and didn't need a rainhood. Hmm, makes me think.
This from ChatGPT:

If you're looking for an alternative to the Brooks B17 saddle, here are a few options that offer a similar level of comfort and quality:

1. **Selle Anatomica X Series**: Known for its leather construction like the Brooks B17, the Selle Anatomica X Series offers excellent comfort with a unique slot down the center to provide extra flexibility and pressure relief.

2. **Berthoud Cycles Aravis**: This is another high-quality leather saddle that is often compared to the Brooks B17. Berthoud saddles are handmade in France and offer a combination of comfort and durability.

3. **Selle Italia Flite 1990**: If you're looking for a non-leather option, the Selle Italia Flite 1990 is a classic choice with a loyal following. It's known for being lightweight and comfortable for long rides.

4. **Fizik Aliante Gamma**: This saddle is designed for comfort and performance. It features a curved profile and uses modern materials, providing a different feel compared to leather saddles but with excellent support.

5. **C13 Cambium by Brooks**: If you like the Brooks brand but want something different from the B17, the Cambium series is worth considering. The C13 is made from vulcanized natural rubber and organic cotton canvas, providing a maintenance-free option that still offers a comfortable ride.

Each of these alternatives has its unique features and benefits, so the best choice will depend on your specific preferences and riding style.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 09:09:23 pm by in4 »