Author Topic: Sent my Rohloff in!  (Read 818 times)

Thomas777

Sent my Rohloff in!
« on: March 15, 2024, 11:41:27 am »
So my wife's  Rohloff had been dripping oil to the point where it was becoming very annoying. We are in the US so I emailed Rohloff and within  30 minutes  had a reply  as to where there were authorized dealers/repair shops. Ah,German  efficiency!
After trading  a few emails with Peter White in New Hampshire and providing  hub# and other assorted items they got a warranty ok from Rohloff.
Here is what the tech shared with  me regarding the leaking. Since the hub alway retains some residual oil after each oil change this tends to build up causing  an abundance  of oil. So they do an overnight oil drain and use the new spec of the quantity of oil.
So my  cost is shipping both directions. And since I work part-time in a bike shop I grabbed a wheel box yesterday  and it will be on it's way today.

Andyb1

Re: Sent my Rohloff in!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2024, 12:49:25 pm »
They seem to be suggesting that at each oil change the residual oil increases?   Seems very unlikely.
And twice the new oil volume is the same as the old oil volume…..so there is a lot of tolerance.
But draining overnight is a good idea to get all the polluted old oil out.  See my thread just below.
Glad it is being repaired FOC - how old / miles is it?

PH

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 06:20:32 pm »
So they do an overnight oil drain and use the new spec of the quantity of oil.
Have I read this right?  That's what they're going to do for you, drain and re-fill?  It seems a bit excessive to post it for someone else to do what you could do yourself.
Please keep posting how it goes and if it's cured.

Thomas777

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 12:12:22 am »
Hub has about 15,000 miles on it. They are doing a replacement of the seals under warranty.

PH

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 08:01:09 am »
Hub has about 15,000 miles on it. They are doing a replacement of the seals under warranty.
That sound more of a workshop requirement, I've misunderstood what you were saying.
I'm not convinced by this idea of residual oil, though I've always double flushed and the second one is noticeably cleaner.  Not sure what I'm going to do going forward, now that that it's distributed with half the quantity of running oil to flushing oil.
EDITED - Got the above the wrong way round (See below)  :-[
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:26:04 am by PH »

Andyb1

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 09:00:45 am »
Not sure what I'm going to do going forward, now that that it's distributed with half the quantity of flushing oil to running oil.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember my 2024 oil kit came with 12.5ml of new oil and 25ml of flushing oil?

PH

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 10:25:24 am »
Not sure what I'm going to do going forward, now that that it's distributed with half the quantity of flushing oil to running oil.

Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember my 2024 oil kit came with 12.5ml of new oil and 25ml of flushing oil?
OOPS!  :-[
Yes got the above the wrong way round, now edited.
Until recently the oils were sold in equal quantity, whether liter, 250ml or 25ml and Rohloff instructions was to fill with 25ml.
I've always used the Andy B method from one of the Thorn booklets, that requires the same amount of both.   

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2024, 01:11:37 pm »
Mine has leaked from day one.  If I had known that Peter White was a USA warranty option back in 2013 when I bought my hub, I would have done this too.  Last time I tried to ship something to another country, the costs and paperwork convinced me to never again do that.

But mine has been out of warranty now for so long, I am sure I am out of luck.

PH

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2024, 01:20:58 pm »
Mine has leaked from day one.  If I had known that Peter White was a USA warranty option back in 2013 when I bought my hub, I would have done this too.  Last time I tried to ship something to another country, the costs and paperwork convinced me to never again do that.

But mine has been out of warranty now for so long, I am sure I am out of luck.
I think Peter White became the US distributer quite recently, it was previously Cycle Monkey. 
Even out of warranty, it still might be an option, there's a post on here somewhere about someone getting it done in the UK by SJS, it seemed a reasonable price (Apologies for the vagueness, but I'm sure you can find the thread)

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 06:49:13 pm »
I think Peter White became the US distributer quite recently, it was previously Cycle Monkey. 
Even out of warranty, it still might be an option, there's a post on here somewhere about someone getting it done in the UK by SJS, it seemed a reasonable price (Apologies for the vagueness, but I'm sure you can find the thread)

I have often seen on this forum where a UK buyer of a complete bike from SJS was often treated well where the warranty had already expired and where foreign shipping was not involved, so that does not surprise me.

Quite a few years ago I knew someone here in USA who used to be a Rohloff employee, his job was to be the Rohloff representative for USA and at that time Rohloff did not have a sole distributor in USA.  I met him after he left Rohloff, he was managing a small bike shop in my community.  Since then, he has moved on to a different shop that I never have a reason to go to.

If now Rohloff has a single distributor in USA, that surprises me a bit.  But I would not be too surprised, a number of small European companies have done that over the years.  Peter White does that for B&M and possibly some of the other German light companies.  If I buy a B&M light here in USA, it passed through Peter White's hands.

WorldTourer

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2024, 09:27:38 pm »
If now Rohloff has a single distributor in USA, that surprises me a bit.  But I would not be too surprised, a number of small European companies have done that over the years.  Peter White does that for B&M and possibly some of the other German light companies.  If I buy a B&M light here in USA, it passed through Peter White's hands.

The situation could be worse. There is only a single Rohloff distributor for the entire continent of Africa, Bruce Reyneke Cycles in Pretoria, South Africa. Recently on the Cairo to Cape Town WhatsApp group, a cyclist was asking about where he could find Rohloff oil, and when he contacted Bruce Reyneke, he was told that the shop hasn’t received any new Rohloff oil since Covid!

mickeg

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2024, 01:22:08 am »
.... There is only a single Rohloff distributor for the entire continent of Africa, Bruce Reyneke Cycles in Pretoria, South Africa. Recently on the Cairo to Cape Town WhatsApp group, a cyclist was asking about where he could find Rohloff oil, and when he contacted Bruce Reyneke, he was told that the shop hasn’t received any new Rohloff oil since Covid!

I have bought a lot of parts from Europe and UK on the internet for shipment to USA at a much lower cost than I would have to pay if I had bought through normal retail channels in USA, the sole distributor business can really push the prices up. 

When I built my titanium touring bike, in addition to the company that I bought the frame from, I placed three large orders for parts from (1) SJS, a (2) a German internet seller, and (3) Amazon in USA.  That was before Shimano told all sellers outside of USA to stop selling to USA, now if I want to buy new Shimano parts (or anything Ortlieb), I have to pay much more from a USA seller.

I bought my Ortlieb panniers and rack top bag about 15 years ago from UK sellers.  With the higher shipping cost from Europe, I still paid a lot less than I would have if I bought them in USA.  Soon after that Ortlieb told all sellers outside USA to stop selling to USA.

And of course, my Nomad Mk II frame and fork from the UK.

Thomas777

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 12:06:26 pm »
I was notified that my wife's Rohloff wheel  is at the shop. The fellow there  said he would  send the bottle of oil back for me to install.
Meanwhile my bike is getting some maintenance as we get  ready to do a 3000 mile tour!

John Saxby

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 12:31:46 pm »
my bike is getting some maintenance as we get ready to do a 3000 mile tour!

Good on yer, Tom!  Where will that tour be?

Best to you and Kathy,

John

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2024, 03:57:16 pm »
Mine is just back from  2 weeks in Somerset after some TLC to stop the growing oil leak problem.  As well as new seals it got a full revision of warn parts, oil change,  new internal cable, reinforcing rings and was built into a new Andra rim.  Almost a new hub and set to go another 50,000 miles. Great service from SJS.