Author Topic: Water bottles with caps  (Read 593 times)

navrig

Water bottles with caps
« on: February 21, 2024, 10:38:58 pm »
I am looking for 1 litre bike bottles which have a cap or cover over the valve.

I haven't found anything just checking through some of the big online shops.

Anyone know of any?

WorldTourer

Re: Water bottles with caps
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 12:19:21 am »
If it is mud getting on the valve that you are annoyed by, you might want to consider carrying your water bottle in a feedbag mounted at the stem and handlebars instead of on the frame. Plenty of options out there. Decathlon’s inexpensive Riverside feedbag has served me well for many, many thousands of kilometers and is wide enough to fit even a 1L Nalgene.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 12:31:59 am by WorldTourer »

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 10:55:17 am »
I have never been to the UK, I assume that is where you are located.

In North America you can buy disposable water bottles and there are two brands (Smart Water and in USA Life WTR or in Canada Life Water) that sell one liter sized bottles that fit in normal water bottle cages.  They have normal type thread on lids, but there are other smaller bottles that have flip top lids that will thread onto those bottles.  I re-use those brand bottles and I use the flip top lids from other sizes. 

The top of the lids covers the part you put your mouth over, easily flips open.

But I do not know if any commercially available water bottles are sold in UK that have the correct diameter for normal bottle cages.

The photo is of my Nomad Mk II, that frame will hold that large of a bottle under the downtube, but most other bikes will only take smaller bottles below the downtube.  Two of the three bottles have the flip top lids that I took off of smaller bottles.

If you wanted to check store shelves to see if there are any sold there that fit, you could wrap a piece of paper around a bottle that fits well in one of your cages and mark the circumference of the bottle on the paper.  Then take that paper to the grocery store and check out the bottled water shelf.

B cereus

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 11:37:09 am »
I try to avoid using plastic if possible. I recently bought a stainless steel bottle from Decathlon, it's only 750ml though.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/stainless-steel-water-bottle-syssa-race-750-ml/_/R-p-X8672132?mc=8672132

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 04:18:17 pm »
Spa Cycles sell a bottle with a cap but it's only 750ml https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s53p3538/SPA-CYCLES-Water-Bottle.

PH

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 06:21:33 pm »
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/elite_fly_tex_mtb_water_bottle_with_cap_950ml-ID_86956?opt=191034&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA29auBhBxEiwAnKcSqvlZXjzIAQE_pFlOu2BvoT_Lm1lu7LoCKQzOBS-HgXLQctXoRJZ0uRoCoIcQAvD_BwE
Apologies for the lazy link without narrative last night, I was on a break at work.
I quite like these Elite, the link is to the 950ml version, I have one of the 550ml ones.  I don't use it much, with good mudguards and flaps there isn't a lot of muck from the road that gets as far as the bottles.  If it's particularly filthy I put the bottle in the seat tube cage which also has the rider protecting it.  Very occasionally I've been caught out and the top of the bottle is dirty, I'll just give it a rinse, unscrew the cap and drink from it as a cup.

navrig

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 05:48:06 pm »
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/elite_fly_tex_mtb_water_bottle_with_cap_950ml-ID_86956?opt=191034&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA29auBhBxEiwAnKcSqvlZXjzIAQE_pFlOu2BvoT_Lm1lu7LoCKQzOBS-HgXLQctXoRJZ0uRoCoIcQAvD_BwE
Apologies for the lazy link without narrative last night, I was on a break at work.
I quite like these Elite, the link is to the 950ml version, I have one of the 550ml ones.  I don't use it much, with good mudguards and flaps there isn't a lot of muck from the road that gets as far as the bottles.  If it's particularly filthy I put the bottle in the seat tube cage which also has the rider protecting it.  Very occasionally I've been caught out and the top of the bottle is dirty, I'll just give it a rinse, unscrew the cap and drink from it as a cup.

Thanks.  That's exactly what I am looking for.  I am currently planning a tour in south east Asia and whilst I generally don't have an issue with road spray here in the UK, I am not sure about Vietnam.

in4

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 08:52:58 am »
I picked these steel bottles up at TK Maxx. I wanted to avoid drinking plastic particles. They’re screw-top and I’ve never had any cleanliness issues drinking from them. Made by Rove.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 11:54:57 am »
One more option, on the day I took the photo, I anticipated riding quite a distance on a gravel trail after it had rained.  I wrapped a plastic bag over the bottle that is under the downtube.  Kept the entire bottle clean, although my hands were not that clean later when I took the bottle out of the cage.

in4

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 01:26:17 pm »
Since COVID days I’ve always carried hand sanitizer and a packet of those wet-wipe tissues (unscented of course!)

martinf

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 09:11:33 pm »
Since COVID days I’ve always carried hand sanitizer and a packet of those wet-wipe tissues (unscented of course!)

A small bottle or tube of gel alcohol hand sanitizer is useful.

I started using this a few years before Covid while on field contracts with a colleague who had contracted Lyme disease.

He made a point of using it before eating picnics or handling drinking water, he said he didn't want to catch anything else.

We got the firm we worked for to add gel alcohol to the field kit they already provided for their employees, along with the first aid kit and (IMO useless) snake venom extractor.

Hand sanitizer is no good for Lyme disease, as that is transmitted by tick bites. But it can help protect from many other nasty pathogens, such as leptospirose, which can be transmitted in water contaminated by infected rodents such as rats and coypu.

navrig

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 11:57:53 am »
Great tips guys.  Thanks.