Author Topic: Mobile phone on handlebar bag  (Read 661 times)

Andyb1

Mobile phone on handlebar bag
« on: February 15, 2024, 04:45:17 pm »
I am not a fan of GPS navigation, I much prefer maps, but google maps has sometimes helped me find a location and I want the option to be able to see my iphone while riding.   What I have found is that it must be tilted back about 45 degrees so that I look at it square on - if mounted flat it reflects the sky.

At the moment I am thinking of mounting it inside the plastic cover of my Carradice Super C handlebar bag.  If the bag is tilted backwards I can see it, I can run a power lead to a small power bank inside the bag and the clear plastic window allows the touch screen to be used.   I will need to sew the original window to make a pocket for it so it does not move - but before I do that I wondered what others did?

in4

Re: Mobile phone on handlebar bag
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 06:58:30 pm »
I’ve seen dedicated cases being used by food delivery cyclists. Perhaps one of those might be an option; leaving your rack top map case free for just paper maps.
Be mindful that your iPhone can use a lot of data when following a route in real time, battery life too.

PH

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 07:03:54 pm »
I do some food delivery courier work, deliveroo and the like, which relies on the phone for directions and job info.  After trying several options I got a Quad Lock and it's been flawless for three years. Pricey for what it is, and I'm not sure how you'd mount it to tilt, but if you go down that route it's worth a look.
One of the things I tried was putting the phone in the transparent lid pocket of my Ortlieb bar bag.  That's a bit different to the Carradice, so I don't know how comparable it is.  I found the bar bag bounces a fair bit, that's OK unless you're trying to read the detail, while in traffic, over a rough bit of road.  I also found that the touch screen, through the plastic, couldn't be relied on.
To keep the phone steady within the pouch, I cut a piece of  correx board to fit, with a cut-out for the phone.  The phone did get warm while charging, I don't know if that does it any harm.
My preferred way to navigate urban areas is Google Maps with bone conductive headphones, takes a little getting used to, then you can keep your eyes on the road.  They're also great to have for touring entertainment, much easier than carrying book and radio. 

« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 07:05:52 pm by PH »

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 07:15:04 pm »
Be mindful that your iPhone can use a lot of data when following a route in real time, battery life too.
Good points.  The battery usage is easy to deal with using battery packs. Google maps uses around 0.7MB a minute when navigating so a GB will last around 24hr.  There's other options where you download the mapping and no data is used, I've tried OsmAnd which I didn't get on with and there's a new cycletravel app which I haven't tried (I'm a fan of the website mapping)

Andyb1

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2024, 07:19:09 pm »
In4 - Unfortunately no space for mounting the phone in a dedicated case on the handlebars as they are quite narrow, and the battery drain is why I like using a powerbank so the handlebar bag seems the logical place to store it.
PH - Quadlocks seem to be a good option……..but if I mount to the stem the phone is too flat.  As you said, a bit of local reinforcement may be needed to steady the phone if in the handlebar bag.

I think a session with the sewing machine may be in order……at least a new Carradice map holder is only £6 if I screw up!  The advantage of mounting the phone to the top of the handlebar bag is that it is all Q/R from the bike with valuables inside the bag.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 05:39:43 am »
Lidl, the German supermarket, every year for a week sells a handlebar phone bag that works through its own protective plastic with the iPhone touch screen even when there is protective film over the iPhone screen to add another layer of Touch Insensitivity <TM>. It comes with a clip on the baggie side which separates the fastening to leave it on the bike, so that you can carry the phone in its baggie away with you and just clip it back in when you return to the bike. Works a treat for a few bucks.

I mention it because between the permanent part of the clip remaining on the bike and the spring loaded release on the baggie, the phone bag is raised about an inch, so controls that you don't need to see because you know what they do, can be under the baggie. For instance, the controls for my electric motor and the bell on my bike are half under the baggie.

For bike phones I'm very keen on the iPhone 4S from 2011 and the SE from 2016 for their carved-from-solid-aluminium construction which can withstand endless hard handling, and also for their smaller size; the 2016 SE has the longest battery life of any of the reasonably sized iPhones. But I don't use the phone for navigation, instead using it to control my power output to the heart rate my cardiologist permits, filling in with the electric motor beyond that. For that the Crivit baggie from Lidl and the smaller iPhones are brilliant; even when I'm riding in a party which is generally slower, so that I'm not glancing at the phone every few seconds, Polar's Beat programme on the iPhone tells me aloud at every kilometre what my heartbeat is; the baggie does not impede the voice, so if your nav programme has voice responses, the size of the screen doesn't matter. I'm training Siri to say, "Hello, Big Boy, you're building muscles in places I especially appreciate."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 05:44:57 am by Andre Jute »

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 06:20:21 am »
I use OsmAnd as a backup as the maps can be downloaded in advance so it will work in a telephone notspot.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 08:10:57 pm »
I use Osmand on my iPhone SE.  It can be used offline, so I can use it when the phone is in Airplane mode -- less drain on the battery.

No particular advice on phone holders/baggies/mapholders. I've led a sheltered life, cluttered with paper maps.  ;)

in4

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 03:02:50 am »
Used ‘em all John and the ‘static’ appeal of a paper map is not lost on me. My peptic ulcers have a popping-fest when electronic/digital versions try to triangulate and can’t make up their minds re which signal source to use. 😠 Perhaps, in time Mr Musk will throw enough satellites into orbit to improve the experience. Until then, contentment with my sextant, crystals, mapa mundi on vellum and magnetic compass will remain undiminished. 😉

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 06:02:06 am »
One of my now-vintage liquid-filled compasses and paper maps always go with me as backups to the electronic versions on standalone GPS and backup phone nav software.

I'm a compass collector with a big "fleet' and couldn't bear to leave one at home. Sadly, I've found compass availability and quality have both declined sharply in recent years, thanks mostly to electronic replacements in whatever form.

Best, Dan.

PH

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2024, 06:44:50 pm »
Perhaps, in time Mr Musk will throw enough satellites into orbit to improve the experience.
When that happens, hopefully aeroplanes will stop falling out of the sky everyday.  Oh, wait a minute....  :o