Author Topic: Thorn Touring Bike Bible  (Read 622 times)

j1of1

Thorn Touring Bike Bible
« on: February 11, 2024, 08:05:46 pm »
Date or version of the latest Thorn Touring Bike Bible?  Any plans to update?

WorldTourer

Re: Thorn Touring Bike Bible
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 10:20:09 pm »
The Thorn Touring Bike Bible was written largely by Andy B., who is now retired from Thorn. Now that he’s gone, Thorn may no longer have employees with deep experience in long-haul bicycle travel. In any event, the Thorn bible now seems rather old-fashioned. Younger generations are increasingly following the “bikepacking” approach described on Bikepacking.com or a number of popular YouTube channels.

Of course, a lot of those younger riders are riding the same paved roads as old-school tourers, and may even be packing their gear into old-school four-pannier setups. Nevertheless, because things are so fashion-based, “bicycle-touring” resources are often a turn-off to that demographic. The challenge of creating a good all-around bicycle-travel reference in this day and age, is perhaps the reason why Trailblazer hasn’t come out with a new edition of their Adventure Cycle-Touring Handbook.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 12:10:22 am by WorldTourer »

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 06:26:50 pm »
I believe that this is the most recent version http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf .

PH

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 07:36:37 pm »
I can't see it being updated till there's some new models to update with.  What would be the point?

in4

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 08:35:59 pm »
Possibly right. I still refer back to it from time to time re tyres, brakes, panniers, Andy’s tool kit and Mercedes van etc. Hope he’s having a great retirement pedalling and driving as far as the inclination takes him.